Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Who will be quality checking said reloads?
I've been watching videos and reading quite a bit, the process doesn't look terribly complicated, just detail oriented, and there are many available tools for verifying correct case length, etc. My tendency is to overdue things if anything, so I won't cheap out on raw materials, tools, methods or procedures. Additionally, I'd be happy to provide a clip or two free for verifying to any potential buyer.

If you want to volunteer yourself to test some rounds once I'm confident I'm following the process correctly, that'd be delightful.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #32
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I've been watching videos and reading quite a bit, the process doesn't look terribly complicated, just detail oriented, and there are many available tools for verifying correct case length, etc. My tendency is to overdue things if anything, so I won't cheap out on raw materials, tools, methods or procedures. Additionally, I'd be happy to provide a clip or two free for verifying to any potential buyer.

If you want to volunteer yourself to test some rounds once I'm confident I'm following the process correctly, that'd be delightful.
I'll test anything you throw my way
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Quote:
Funny you knew exactly what I was getting at.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #34
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWIKLS1 View Post
:spam:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/22371

$399 for a Hornady Lock N Load 5 station progressive press. Included with the deal is 500 bullets of various calibers (your choice from the company's list).

Basically the free bullets are worth around $100, so you pretty much get a high-end progressive press for around $300. All you'd need to add to this kit would be a lube kit, some calipers, dies and shellplates of your caliber(s), and a scale.

I've always sworn I didn't need a progressive press, but this is a tempting deal from a top notch company. :buffer:
From another board for you Ben.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #35
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
From another board for you Ben.
Thanks for the link.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #36

I wish that I had known about this thread before the gun show, but something turboBuick related came up and I could not go anyway.
I have reloaded on and off most of my lifetime from everything to a RCBS Rockchucker to my present Dillon 550B, and it is hard to go wrong on handloading. You gain more than just a savings of money, Some people, such as myself actually find it somewhat stress-relieving. Also , the confidence that you loaded it yourself, and that it was reloaded with quality in mind. You learn a better understanding of what one tenth of a grain of what powder will do what in what case and with what bullet weight.
May I offer up some suggestions about Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, especially what's happening currently, which may not change for a while.
Saturday, just as in car shows, is almost always the best day, and the earlier that you get there, the better.
Buying your ticket on-line, which I always hate to do, is the only way to go, as they will let in the people that bought tickets on line in first as compared to buying them there the day of the show.
Buy your ammo, primers, & powder first in their order of importance, then look around. Some ammo & some primers are getting virtually impossible to get. HTH
Also, the Costa Mesa show is always the best show to go to compared to any of the other locations.
The bigger & better the show, the more vendors that will be there and the better chance of finding & getting what you are looking for.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #37
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
I wish that I had known about this thread before the gun show, but something turboBuick related came up and I could not go anyway.
I have reloaded on and off most of my lifetime from everything to a RCBS Rockchucker to my present Dillon 550B, and it is hard to go wrong on handloading. You gain more than just a savings of money, Some people, such as myself actually find it somewhat stress-relieving. Also , the confidence that you loaded it yourself, and that it was reloaded with quality in mind. You learn a better understanding of what one tenth of a grain of what powder will do what in what case and with what bullet weight.
May I offer up some suggestions about Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, especially what's happening currently, which may not change for a while.
Saturday, just as in car shows, is almost always the best day, and the earlier that you get there, the better.
Buying your ticket on-line, which I always hate to do, is the only way to go, as they will let in the people that bought tickets on line in first as compared to buying them there the day of the show.
Buy your ammo, primers, & powder first in their order of importance, then look around. Some ammo & some primers are getting virtually impossible to get. HTH
Also, the Costa Mesa show is always the best show to go to compared to any of the other locations.
The bigger & better the show, the more vendors that will be there and the better chance of finding & getting what you are looking for.
I'd like to pick your brain more as the time comes. It's my intention, along with Chuck and my brother to go into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales. My initial research indicates margins are pretty good.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #38
pain's fun, hit me again

Dillon is the way to go
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #39
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Dillon is the way to go
That's what I keep hearing. Though it seems the RCBS dies are of equal quality and lower cost.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #40

Quote:
I'd like to pick your brain more as the time comes. It's my intention, along with Chuck and my brother to go into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales. My initial research indicates margins are pretty good.
Whatever I can do to help and / or advise, I will. However I am what's called a dedicated .45 auto shooter & loader. I load & shoot only .45 auto. My personal opinion on "going into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales" is probably a pretty bleak one. I would believe that competition is pretty fierce, however, I just started loading, shooting, and doing the gun shows again after about a 10 year vacation. I think that you will get a pretty good indication when you guys start loading for your friends and the forum members. Actually, that might really give you guys some ideas & some pit falls to avoid.
Liability comes to mind.