Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #351
Fast & Filthy

I'm not sure what you mean if the dual sump is the same for a 302 and 5.0. The pan for the Mustang is different from other car and it does have a unique pickup. Didn't we already have one for the RxSnake?

I spoke to GTR and they don't have a stock bellhousing. They did a little while ago but the cutomer picked it up and is currently deployed so they can't call him about it. There were some fox bodies down at the Pick-A-Part out here so we could go and pull one. They are $35.99 with a $10 core and we can use the 2.3 one for the core.

I looked it up and the 5.0 and 2.3 used the same radiator so we should just try the one we have and see how it does. We can vent the front bumper with some 1 inch holes to help if needed.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #352
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean if the dual sump is the same for a 302 and 5.0. The pan for the Mustang is different from other car and it does have a unique pickup. Didn't we already have one for the RxSnake?
I have one for the snake. My question was there any difference in the SBF as there is in the SBC (GenI,II,III). I just don't know. I did get the gasket for a 75' (and whatever else). It is a multi-piece.

Quote:
I spoke to GTR and they don't have a stock bellhousing. They did a little while ago but the cutomer picked it up and is currently deployed so they can't call him about it. There were some fox bodies down at the Pick-A-Part out here so we could go and pull one. They are $35.99 with a $10 core and we can use the 2.3 one for the core.
That sounds pretty icky since the motor would have to be lifted. Let's keep our eyes open on CL and eBay. But it's good to know that's an option.

Quote:
I looked it up and the 5.0 and 2.3 used the same radiator so we should just try the one we have and see how it does. We can vent the front bumper with some 1 inch holes to help if needed.
Roger.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Current Questions:
Carlos (anyone),
We have a question about cooling capacity. The base car was a 4-cyl. THis is going to be an all iron V8 in an endurance application. Even though it's low power/low compression, I still think heat is going to become a problem. Any thoughts recommendations?

I'll update the OP with all the stuff we've recently acquired and money status.
On the lemons forum,
" overheating is ALWAYS a problem, add a radiator to the roof if you can"

Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #354

Quote:
That sounds pretty icky since the motor would have to be lifted. Let's keep our eyes open on CL and eBay. But it's good to know that's an option.
You just pull the drive shaft and trans and leave the motor in place. and because we don't care about being nice we and get it out quickly.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...t/viewall.html
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #355
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I have one for the snake. My question was there any difference in the SBF as there is in the SBC (GenI,II,III). I just don't know. I did get the gasket for a 75' (and whatever else). It is a multi-piece.
Yes, in the '90s Ford started using a 1 piece rear main seal instead of a 2 piece. However, the oil pan gaskets are the same.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #356
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Current Questions:

Is the dual sump pan the same for the 302 and 5.0? I am assuming just checking.
No
Is the pickup tube different? I am assuming, just checking.
yes
Ron,
Ping regarding bell housing.

Carlos (anyone),
We have a question about cooling capacity. The base car was a 4-cyl. THis is going to be an all iron V8 in an endurance application. Even though it's low power/low compression, I still think heat is going to become a problem. Any thoughts recommendations?
same cooling system in both cars

I'll update the OP with all the stuff we've recently acquired and money status.
See red
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #357
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
See red
Clear.

The open question is if the cooling system is even remotely sufficient for the task of endurance racing, even with our low compression motor. My guess is that it won't be, especially if it's ever in the heat. But it might be okay at like the December Lemons in the desert where it's likely to be balls cold anyway. Also, it'll be fine for short bursts like Adam's, which is just a few laps. In the summer, for distance . . . not a chance. So, it's not any kind of pressing issue, but is something we'll likely have to address at some point. I know a guy who fabs radiators and charges a reasonable price, so unless there's a common hack or good off the shelf solution that's an option.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #358
pain's fun, hit me again

We can run the engine without a thermostat, that should help a bit. I dont think it will be a problem. I've ran my stock engine car pretty damn hard in the canyons and as long as the radiator is clear, it should be good to go.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #359
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
We can run the engine without a thermostat, that should help a bit.
We'll keep the thermostat but just gut it. At higher rpms we need the restriction to keep the coolant from flowing too quickly which doesn't allow it to dissipate the heat in the radiator before entering back in the engine. This is what I have in both the Chevelle and the Cobra.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #360
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
We'll keep the thermostat but just gut it. At higher rpms we need the restriction to keep the coolant from flowing too quickly which doesn't allow it to dissipate the heat in the radiator before entering back in the engine. This is what I have in both the Chevelle and the Cobra.

We'll just have to monitor temps in reality and see how it goes. Continued heavy driving (like two hour stints in an endurance race) on a course with all kinds of speeds is pretty brutal. Little three lap, or twenty minute sessions, or even running through canyons, is not even close to as punishing. Once the whole system becomes "heat soaked" it's purely a function of how much heat exchange the cooling system can do, if it's not enough to keep it in range, that's it, game over. We can fart around with scoops and ducts to channel outside air across the engine as a low cost way to help. Just raising a flag that I expect this to become a problem. But it's one we'll figure out as we come to it. Sounds like the starting point is "ok".

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)