Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #21

Well, I'm done with this xfer case. I jacked up the rear to get the tires off the ground and blocked the fronts. Put the trans and xfer case in neutral. I then put a socket and breaker bar on the front output shaft and spun it back and forth. The rear wheels spin right along with it. Put the xfer case in any gear and same thing happens but witha bit more resistance with it. With the tires in the ground and xfer case in neutral, I can't spin that output shaft at all.

So unless there is any logical reason why I shouldn't just go for the one at the junkyard, I'm gonna get it today or probably tomorrow.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Fast & Filthy

Pull the transfer case and open it up first. They are pretty simple and it may be something simple that you can fix without any cost.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #23

I have no clue what I'm looking at though. Plus the Durango is the only car I can drive legally. Typhoon can't pass the visual test for smog and the Jeep has no engine.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #24

When I get the stock xfer case out, I'll tear it down and take some pictures of the internals.

I found two xfer cases at the local junkyard, one is a 98, the other is a 99 or 00, can't remember. The 98 output shaft won't move like mine does, could just be mildly stuck, but I'm not gonna waste my time and money on a hope. The other one does freely spin while in 2wd, front output shaft that is. I almost got it out today, only had 30 minutes to work on it. Gonna go back first thing tomorrow and rip it out.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #25

Finally go it put in today. 2wd works just fine. Headed to the muffler shop now. Finally!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #26

Everything is done. Used Magnaflow muffler, installation, and reweld one of my cuts only cost me $75. Xfer case works good so far, haven't tested out 4wd yet though. Kinda scared to now.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
Fast & Filthy

I'm glad it the used case worked for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #28

I really should test it out to make sure it will cycle through the gears properly. Need to find some place near where I can test it out though.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #29
Fast & Filthy

Put it up on axle stands.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #30

I would but I read several places on the Durango forums saying not to do that. Even the owners manual recommends putting it into 4 hi or even back into 2hi while moving. It does say stop to go into 4low since there is actual gear changes in the xfer case. I'll read more on it. I do have to meet my in laws up in Bakersfield to drop off my dogs with them, I'm sure I can find some place up there or even in the mountains. Ill just take some tools in case I need to pull the front axle off again. Only need a 8mm wrench and a 15mm socket.

I really do like the fact that I can just crawl under the Durango to work on things without having to jack it up all the time. I love my Typhoon and all my previous lowered cars, but I couldn't even touch the engine oil drain plug without jacking it up.

That last nut on the xfer case took me about 2-3 hours to get off and pull the xfer case out, it took me about an hour to put everything back in, add oil, and drive it down the street. Just my luck I guess.