Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #21
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Here is a thread from SRT forums, they say the mid 11's is the place to be. Here is another and they say the same thing I am, somewhere between 11.7-11.9 at WOT.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #22

good info on the srt-4, also im curious if 94cobra could get the timing and arf info on the 2004-2005 cobra's im interested in know what they run

also 94cobra timing for turbo cars isnt too hard to get down u just have to visualize your turbo boost curve and build your fuel and timing around that curve.

rpm 1k 2k 3k 4k 5k 6k 7k
boost 0psi 5psi 15psi 30psi 30psi 28psi 26psi
thottle 100% 100%100%100% 100% 100% 100%
timing adv 15* 13* 9* 6* 7* 12* 18*

the above is is an example of my e85 tune but as you can see when full boost hits at 30psi the timing gets cut by alot!! but towards the end you can keep up the power curve by compensating the dropping psi with timing advance to give you a flat or elivated power curve

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Boostn, I'm almost positive that you have a knock sensor already. It's more likely that you'd be installing a second one made to work with the tuning software specifically. I'll bet if you read the fine print that it will specify certain factory Bosch sensors that it will also be compatible with. If you don't mind splicing into your factory harness.
Staged SRT4s w/toys have knock sensors... stage 0 and stage 1 do not have one that I am aware of. I will definitely need something along those lines at some point.

I repeat... I have NO TUNING SOFTWARE. Just making that extra clea. I need to learn about tuning before I actually try this. And obviously not on my stock car lol. I want lots of information

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #24
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Staged SRT4s w/toys have knock sensors... stage 0 and stage 1 do not have one that I am aware of. I will definitely need something along those lines at some point.

I repeat... I have NO TUNING SOFTWARE. Just making that extra clea. I need to learn about tuning before I actually try this. And obviously not on my stock car lol. I want lots of information
Okay, I know you don't currently have tuning software. What I am telling you is that your car from the factory has a knock sensor. So when you get tuning software you will not need to get a different one because you already have one and you will be able to see if the PCM pulls timing out due to knock.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #25

Quote:

ya dude just about every car out there now a days works off the stock knock sensor for any kind of tuning, ive never heard on one being swapped out for an aftermarket one but im sure the stock one on an srt-4 is what they would use when logging there cars.

know im not 100% sure on this but if someone can confirm it would help lol.

im pretty sure the knock sensor is in the engine block itself, i was looking at both my blown motors and noticed this sensor shoved in between cylinder 2 and 3 in the middle of the block and im thinking thats the knock sensor. anywho moral of the story im pretty sure u dont need an aftermarket one and i didnt even know they sold an aftermarket one.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #26
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
ya dude just about every car out there now a days works off the stock knock sensor for any kind of tuning, ive never heard on one being swapped out for an aftermarket one but im sure the stock one on an srt-4 is what they would use when logging there cars.

know im not 100% sure on this but if someone can confirm it would help lol.

im pretty sure the knock sensor is in the engine block itself, i was looking at both my blown motors and noticed this sensor shoved in between cylinder 2 and 3 in the middle of the block and im thinking thats the knock sensor. anywho moral of the story im pretty sure u dont need an aftermarket one and i didnt even know they sold an aftermarket one.
If I have a knock sensor any1 have any idea how I can find out about it, hell if I have one i wouldn't even know how to tell if it was going off lol? I'm sure it's there but i've never heard any reference to a knock sensor except for the staged w/toys kits

Oh, and the no tuning software was mostly just to clarify that.. Enkeivette seemed to get a little excited about tuning haha. Not happening for a while.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #27
Internet Tough Guy

We'll the safes way to get this done is to get a

1) Get a wide band o2 sensor
2) Get a EGT (exhasut gas temperature) gauge
3) A good tuner that allows you to data log

I only tuned one car in my life myself, but is was a formula SAE car (600 cc honda F4I motor on E83 Garret GT-25 turbo 18mm convergent divergent restrictor custom made manifolds).

My buddy Dennis used a hondata to tune it. THe F4I controller was used withford racing fuel injectors.

Fired it up with the factory map increased 50% to account for the e85. We drove it around the block adjusting the fuel to make it drivable (no boost). We had it rich 11.0 when we started getting into enough throttle for the turbo to kick in. In order to get the fuel map where it needed to be without hurting the motor we pulled alot of timming out the data logger helps because it will let you slow down and analyze the information. Ounce we had the fuel about right. We took the car to a local Tucson shop that donated dyno time and help. On the dyno they leaned the fuel until the EGT got to about 980F. THe temperature in hte combustion chamber is the real parameter that you are trying to control when you set the A/F ratio. When that's set then you can add timing. don't wait for the factory knock indication because sometimes it a dampened system and might be slow to give you an indication. I will pull timing quickly, but it can still cause damage if you don't realize whats going on. THis was a bit of over kill, but it is a tight competition and we wanted to get the most out of our design.

I'm sure there is some tunning software for the SRT 4 it's worth getting hte car specific tuner. Alot of time they have websites where they share tunes. Find one with a similar set-up and use it as a starting point. AEM has a replacement ECU which is expensive, but worth it. It will virtually tune the car for you.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I have a knock sensor any1 have any idea how I can find out about it, hell if I have one i wouldn't even know how to tell if it was going off lol? I'm sure it's there but i've never heard any reference to a knock sensor except for the staged w/toys kits

Oh, and the no tuning software was mostly just to clarify that.. Enkeivette seemed to get a little excited about tuning haha. Not happening for a while.
That's why some people run a knocklite, cuz it will detect slight knock before there is serious detonation. But hopefully your comp would pull timing when it detects knock, hopefully.

I'd bet money that you have a knock sensor. I'd bet money that MY Neon has a knock sensor. Slide under your car and scope it out. A knock sensor looks like a little plastic and metal UFO, about 2" in diameter. It will most likely be in the block on the side, not the head, and will screw into a drain plug hole. It will likely have one wire coming out of it. While you're under there, if you see Bosch and some numbers printed on it, jot it down. You may find that it is compatiable with tuning software that you might buy in the future.

Also, MSD makes a "Boost timing master" I think it's called. Pulls timing as boost increases. You can adjust it to start at a certain boost level, and pull so many degrees for each pound. Only necessary if you want to squeeze every last bit of hp out of your setup. But this might also be something that's unnecessary, from what Corn Fed is saying, sound like you could set it all up with an aftermarket ECM.

Also, I think SRT4s have iron blocks, or maybe something else, but I don't think that they're aluminum.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
That's why some people run a knocklite, cuz it will detect slight knock before there is serious detonation. But hopefully your comp would pull timing when it detects knock, hopefully.

I'd bet money that you have a knock sensor. I'd bet money that MY Neon has a knock sensor. Slide under your car and scope it out. A knock sensor looks like a little plastic and metal UFO, about 2" in diameter. It will most likely be in the block on the side, not the head, and will screw into a drain plug hole. It will likely have one wire coming out of it. While you're under there, if you see Bosch and some numbers printed on it, jot it down. You may find that it is compatiable with tuning software that you might buy in the future.

Also, MSD makes a "Boost timing master" I think it's called. Pulls timing as boost increases. You can adjust it to start at a certain boost level, and pull so many degrees for each pound. Only necessary if you want to squeeze every last bit of hp out of your setup. But this might also be something that's unnecessary, from what Corn Fed is saying, sound like you could set it all up with an aftermarket ECM.

Also, I think SRT4s have iron blocks, or maybe something else, but I don't think that they're aluminum.
you might be right on the block being iron but im sure the heads aluminum, as for tuning for real i think he should go with the sct flash method for his srt-4 only if an ams ems is to expensive and complicated for him.

here are my reasons for suggesting those options

1. sct has alot of srt info and support on the srt forums and it also works of your stock ecu or pcm or watever you wanna call it, and its pretty much turning your stock ecu into a stand alone.

2. the aem ems has world wide support because its everywhere, and any pro tuner whos knowledge is worth the amount the charge will know how to use this. and it has literally endless freakin options for your car, also AEM give customer support to anyone who bought there system and they also give you or make available a class course where they teach you how to innitially use the AEM EMS. the only hard part of using the aem unit is the initial setting up a base tune to actually turn on your car and creat a starting point, and the fact that it works off speed density which is a concept i have yet to understand but am currently trying to grasp my brain around it.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Yeah the head is Al for sure.