Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #201
Fast & Filthy

Here's the rims and tires. The tires have more tread on them than I thought. Two of them are almost to the wear indicators but just barely and the other two have more tread. We could use these at Adams track a few times to play around with until we get the NT05's.

I also talked to Gonzalo about doing a story and he said he'd talk to KJ who is the Tech Editor for 5.0 magazine.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #202
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
FMR, what is the approximate cost of a set of the appropriate size NT05s going to be? There is supposed to be a place (Leedom knows) down in South OC that routinely cheaper than everywhere else.

BTW, Ron, if GTR wants to participate and do a write up with 5.0 for this project, that'd be great!
I go to Tucker Tire about a mile from my house. They have always been great to me. I put tires on the truck last year and a buddy of mine who worked at a tire shop said the only way he could beat their price was if he did not charge tax and that was from a wholesaler. Are we staying with 235/55/17? If not what is the size and I can at least get a quote and see what they say.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten

Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #203
I, Vettezuki

Carlos, Guy, Ron, especially Carlos with the most road racing experience here; all things considered for this car, weight and power, stock SN197 what size should we go with?

From my primitive way of think we're going to be light and not sooo powerful (even at 300WHP MAX), so it doesn't make sense to go with particularly large tires (that would be more unsprung mass and rolling resistance). The stock 235s should be fine or should we step it up when the time comes? What's the widest track to put on those rims? Hell, how wide are those rims anyway 8"?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #204
pain's fun, hit me again

We should go with a smaller sidewall for the tiny fox wheel wells

I'm thinkin' 255/45/17
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #205
pain's fun, hit me again

In reality the width of the wheels wont really make much difference of rolling mass, i say we go big, 275's would make up for alot of the stock fox's poor suspension
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #206
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
In reality the width of the wheels wont really make much difference of rolling mass, i say we go big, 275's would make up for alot of the stock fox's poor suspension
Not a lot of extra mass, but definitely more rolling resistance (a.k.a., traction). The point is how much is needed? The only thing that makes up for poor, or at least overly hard suspension is the compliance in a taller sidewall tire. A tire that is just bigger (with smaller sidewall) will make it worse because of the lower ratio of sprung to unsprung weight. Unless all you mean is that we should get every bit of tread width possible because of the bad weight shifting of the stock suspension, etc.

NOTE: I know this mostly from theory, not practice. Although my Vette is sprung HARD, but rides ok because of my relatively taller sidewalls adding compliance.

NOTE2: Ron will regear the axle to 3.73 with some spares he has.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #207

I say we go as wide as we can fit on the car/wheel. More traction is always a good thing IMHO
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20

Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #208
Fast & Filthy

I agree but we have to decide what series we are going to running the car in. Carlos mentioned the CMC and if we do we cannot roll the wheel wells for tire clearance. Guy can probably tell us what will fit but I think the biggest we can fit is a 255/40/17. Guy?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #209
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I agree but we have to decide what series we are going to running the car in. Carlos mentioned the CMC and if we do we cannot roll the wheel wells for tire clearance. Guy can probably tell us what will fit but I think the biggest we can fit is a 255/40/17. Guy?
Actually we can roll the fenders, just not add anything IIRC

I can do to that car the same thing i did to mine to fit the 275's all around.

Stopping the world!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #210
Fast & Filthy

I read it last night and for CMC we can't modify the fenders or quarter panels which includes rolling the wheel wells. I don't know if that is new for 2012 but I read it on the 2012 rules.