Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
Short and simple, it's a great oil from a group IV base stock containing PAO. In other words it's a true synthetic. They have great cold flow characteristics as well as op temp so good for a street machine. Take into account I'm generalizing here and not pointing at a single bottle.

I recall Sean said his Cobra asks for a 0W-20. There 0W-20 would run great in his car in that it will lubricate immediately on start up and take the pressures of hard pedal to the metal running for long periods of time withstanding plenty heat.

The only reason I would turn away is price, it's over 9 bucks a quart for 0W-20 and over 10 bucks for 0W-30 which is what I run. For that I would move over to Redline. Chucks discount might make it worthwhile though so over all GREAT STUFF

Competitive edge, meh, it's all down to the price. Differences are marginal at best.

OK price being equal, you break to Redline. Why?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Some info I found about Amsoil

Quote:
You don't really believe all that Scamsoil bullshit do you?

I’ve never gotten such a bold question, but I’m glad you asked. I hope that you’ll appreciate an honest answer, because I don’t know how to do marketing BS.

I’m a full-time engineer in industry, and I work and talk with engineers every day. Maybe they’re with Bobcat, some with Ford, some with GM, Polaris, John Deere... as well as many companies you’ve never heard of. True, some people sell AMSOIL. I’ve never been a good salesman, and I prefer to just educate people and let them sell themselves. I’ve never liked sales, and even had a boss tell me to never go into sales because I’d never make it. I’m most interested in the truth, and the best possible recommendations, not in schmoozing people to do what I want. To me, that’s not responsible engineering.

There are several products on the market that I think would be far more honestly labeled as “scamsoil”, but Amsoil products are on the entire opposite end of the spectrum. Over the last several years, people have asked me about several products/brands that are supposed to be really great. What they’re great at is marketing and misleading with slogans and gimmicks. But when you start talking real performance data from standardized tests, and actual chemical content, the truth comes out fairly quickly.

I don’t believe in Amsoil because I sell it. I haven’t retired from a job, desperately trying to make ends meet by selling something. Not at all. Rather, I sell AMSOIL products “on the side” (sometimes at a loss), because I believe in them and stand behind them and use them, and because I think people like you deserve to know the truth.

My Duramax diesel truck really does have Amsoil's BMK-17 Dual Remote Bypass filtration kit on it that I really installed myself side-by-side with a GM engineer. I really did my last oil change when I converted it to Amsoil at 43,000 miles, I really do have 111,000 miles on it now, and I really can scan and send you the oil sampling analysis report showing that the oil performance is still great, the oil is very clean, and the engine wear rate is very low. I’ve really gotten an 8% fuel economy improvement. I’ve really saved hundreds of dollars in oil changes and hundreds of dollars in fuel costs. That’s as real as “reality” can get.

In the engineering discipline areas of my greatest expertise, I’ve created new standards in world-class performance areas several times in manufacturing, in several industries including automotive. If you care to look at the exhaust system under a Ford Focus, you’ll see one of the best examples of robotic welding performance in the world, primarily due to my work, accomplishing what many experts and worldwide companies said couldn’t be done. I can recognize world-class. And I know that world-class never happens by using what everyone else does and following what everyone “knows”. It takes understanding the science & physics and doing the hard work to identify truly innovative potential for performance advantages, and using those to create greater profitability. I recommend AMSOIL products as a way to share what I’ve learned from my own personal research and experience, because I feel that’s the responsible thing to do. After all, not one in 100,000 people will research and analyze to the extent I’ve done. So this is a way for me to give to people some tangible everyday benefits from my engineering training and research.

I don’t purchase a dime of pay-per-click advertising, and I don’t have time to invest in “viral marketing” approaches: the internet simply provides a way for people to find what I’ve learned, and new Amsoil users pass along that information to help others.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that mechanics know better. The best ones are essentially trained by the OEM car-company service techs, to be good at wrenching – efficiently and correctly. They’ve never had training in the sciences of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, boundary lubrication, tribology, metallurgy, fatigue stress fractures, or Root Cause determination with Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) or other tools used throughout the world of automotive design and manufacturing. Engineers are the ones who design the cars, and they’re the ones who determine much of the content that goes into the service manuals. Engineers are the ones who aid and advise the world’s top racing teams.

My professional reputation as an engineer is far more important to me than selling some oil, which is why I tell everyone about being a Preferred Customer to buy at wholesale and cut out my retail profits. I believe it’s far more important for people to benefit from current lubrication and filtration technology than for me to make money. And with AMSOIL, everyone wins except the big oil companies and the car companies: you win, I win, AMSOIL wins, the environment wins, and your pocketbook wins.

Lubrication industry insiders know that AMSOIL products are the worldwide benchmark performance standard, and all the test data and accolades attest to that fact. OEM engineers know that professional racing performance is silently, quietly dominated by AMSOIL lubrication. And major trucking and construction companies also hold their Amsoil secrets closely to their chest because of the competitive advantages it gives them. Marketing is an entirely different subject from performance.

Many engineers I’ve worked with have switched to Amsoil. Every single one has noted and measured performance improvements, and to my knowledge none has gone back. The most measureable difference is in fuel economy, and while it ranges from 3 to 20%, a 7 to 8% improvement is typical. It’s not surprising to me. I knew the results I would get before I ever tried Amsoil: the technology is world-class, so it naturally produces world-class performance.

As far as I can make it, my website is a bullshit-free zone that is data-driven. Study the research White Papers on gear lubrication and motorcycle engine oils, and you’ll begin to understand the importance and the science behind measuring real performance in the lubrication industry. If you find anything you question, please feel free to ask and I’ll dig into it and either explain myself or correct it. If there’s any way I can help you, let me know. Call me if you like: my cell number is below.

But please accept this challenge to be a true skeptic – identify the products for your vehicle, buy them at wholesale as a Preferred Customer and use the products yourself, to prove to yourself whether or not they really work.

THAT is why Amsoil continues to grow so quickly: it’s rare for someone who knows their vehicle to try Amsoil and ever go back to anything else. Most people are skeptics: they don’t believe it until they investigate and prove it to themselves. Some never investigate, but it’s not accurate to call them skeptics: those are merely people who choose to be ignorant – too lazy or busy to research the facts.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #13

Redline is a group V oil. Group V oils have the best additive packs available for pretty much any motor. These are the oils that withstand anything a street car can throw at them, with plenty of track time in the mix as well.

I'm not talking about Redline "race only oil" that's a whole different ball game.

Of course, many of us don't push our cars to the limit so even a group III oil would do the trick just fine. If I'm shelling out 10 bucks for a group IV oil I might as well jump on a group V oil if it's the same price but better for the unforgiving even if I'm not a heavy racer.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Redline is a group V oil. Group V oils have the best additive packs available for pretty much any motor. These are the oils that withstand anything a street car can throw at them, with plenty of track time in the mix as well.

I'm not talking about Redline "race only oil" that's a whole different ball game.

Of course, many of us don't push our cars to the limit so even a group III oil would do the trick just fine. If I'm shelling out 10 bucks for a group IV oil I might as well jump on a group V oil if it's the same price but better for the unforgiving even if I'm not a heavy racer.
What is Royal Purple? I saw a chart somewhere that measured oil breakdown and I believe Royal Purple was the best?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

WHY SWITCH TO AMSOIL LUBRICATION AND FILTRATION TECHNOLOGIES?

AMSOIL products saves you time and money. With recommended extended drain intervals, AMSOIL performance typically costs LESS per year than conventional oil changes.

The only 25,000 mile/one-year and 35,000 mile/one-year motor oils in the world.

A vehicle lubrication solution with far less environmental impact, using an estimated 87% less oil and 5-10% less fuel !

The only oils and filters with a warranty for GUARANTEED performance!

Exceeds the most stringent performance specifications of all major U.S. and foreign automotive and truck manufacturers.

Provides up to four-times the wear protection of other motor oils.

Increases the mileage life of your vehicle.

Improves fuel economy.

Increases at-wheel horsepower.

Lowers transmission and differential operating temperatures and delivers better shifting, even in heavy towing.

Lowers fleet maintenance costs by lowering the costs of both scheduled maintenance, and mechanical repairs.

Lowers fleet capital costs by dramatically extending vehicle service-life. (Vehicle mileage typically extended 20 to 100%.)

Diesel oil and filtration products designed to deliver more than 1,000,000 miles for over-the-road trucks before engine overhaul.

Used by many national racing teams, fleets, police departments, fire departments, ambulance fleets, construction firms and trucking companies.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #16

I don't know that it's the best that's very hard to decide as all oils have a small advantage in different categories of testing and like I said before are marginal at best when compared to others in the same group base stock. Royal Purple is a PAO base stock oil so it's a group IV. Your not doing much by switching from one group IV oil to another. Your making a good difference between III to IV though. Group III's are all over the shelves of Autozones, Kragens, Pep boys.....etc. That why when those with group III's switch to group IV's they never look back.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Who's group V other than Redline?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #18

Royal Purple has some Group V oils, I think only in "race only" form as well as Amsoil. Amsoil actually uses some group V Ester technology in there group IV's. Others that are rare group V's is Motul, Fuchs Silkolene, Total Quartz, Pentosin.....never heard of these bad boys have ya. There are more but only those come to mind.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Royal Purple has some Group V oils, I think only in "race only" form as well as Amsoil. Amsoil actually uses some group V Ester technology in there group IV's. Others that are rare group V's is Motul, Fuchs Silkolene, Total Quartz, Pentosin.....never heard of these bad boys have ya. There are more but only those come to mind.
Now we're getting to tweak head territory. Does anyone attempt to optimize characterestics of different Group V oils by blending them? Like 1Q Redline, 2Q Motul, etc. Pure curiosity.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #20

My Lexus is almost due for a change, how much for 6 quarts of 0W-30 Chuck? PM if you like, might be worth the change. I plan to do an oil analysis 4k into it and post it up, the results should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Now we're getting to tweak head territory. Does anyone attempt to optimize characterestics of different Group V oils by blending them? Like 1Q Redline, 2Q Motul, etc. Pure curiosity.
Well that's not actually a good idea as some additives from one oil to another can cause problems. There are people that have done so but they know EXACTLY the Frankenstein oil there pouring into their motors. What I "hear" is common is mixing group IV's with V's. Redline actually isn't all that great at handling fuel dilution, finding that one little additive to change that would be nice but would it create some chemical disturbance with another additive already present.........I have no freaking idea, that's out of my reach. I'll look into it for sure though, thanks for bringing that up.