Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgn8711 View Post
. . .I need the springs from him and some extra "keepers" cuz he said you always loose a few? I also need to get the tie down unit from him and we will need to slightly roll the fender lip. I will try and get my grandpa's torch in a bottle to heat up the inlet of the cat to pull it off. If we pull of new springs, new injectors, chip n tune, and a tie down strap that could be worth quite a bit time wise! Keep in mind I ran 14.6 with only 13# of boost and 18* of timing, 20#'s and 20+*'s of timing plus taking out fuel...The wheels are starting to spin in my head! I won't get ahead of myself. Thanks B for sparking up my car fever again let's just hope Mike doesn't get too smashed!

Brian
I'm happy to help. It's more fun this way anyway. Plus, I'd LOVE to see the look on Sean's face if you could get within shouting distance of his previous time in the Cobra.

I've got a bottle torch, as well as acetylene; we can get medievel if necessary, so you don't need to hit up your grandpa. Just roll out to Morgan's and get the goodies so we can proceed in the event he's not able to make it. If you don't have the factory service manual, it's something everybody needs for their car if they're going to do much work on them. I do mean factory service manual, not a Chilton's guide or anything like that.

As for the keepers, I'm not quite sure what he means. You sure as well don't want to loose them down in the engine.

What do you mean "roll the fender lip"? I don't have a metal working hammer and dolly (though I'm not against picking one up depending on prices.)

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to bgn8711

Got parts today from Morgan and he is in on saturday, we are a go! I'm super excited! I will call everyone friday night and confirm! Suhweeettt!

Brian
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Got parts today from Morgan and he is in on saturday, we are a go! I'm super excited! I will call everyone friday night and confirm! Suhweeettt!

Brian
Word. If Morgan comes, is it necessary to call Mike out for doing springs? In other words, is that within Morgan's skill set? (I just have no idea.) On the other hand, Mike would still be an excellent pair of hands to have around no matter what we were doing.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #14

Morgan does not have the necessary tools for the job, so Mike will be necessary if we want to do the valve springs. Morgan might have a 42# chip in which case we can do the injectors, which would be super easy if we have to take all the stuff off for valve springs anyway, and put the 42# chip in until my chip gets here and than I can tune with Morgan. As long as Mike comes along all list of things are in the realm of reason and could help me hammer out quite an improved number from the last time at the track which would be great!

Brian

PS why am I a god damned junior member??
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
I, Vettezuki

I'll get the tools from Mike tomorrow while at Sean's. In that case, the tools will be available to Morgan even if Mike is not there.

Do you need a Tap and Die to install the motor tie down?

You really should get another valve cover gasket.

You're Junior Member because you were MIA for . . . uh, a long time.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #16

Well I'm back full force and I want my title! I don't think there are really any specific tools for the tie down needed, and I am getting a pair of valve cover gaskets today for the Buick. So what's the over under on anyone showing up but me Morgan and you Ben?

Brian

PS I may even drive to get some methanol in LA as it seems you can run more boost with it than the current denatured I'm running now! Who else is going to the track is anyone plannin on it aside from Ben and I??
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Well I'm back full force and I want my title! I don't think there are really any specific tools for the tie down needed, and I am getting a pair of valve cover gaskets today for the Buick. So what's the over under on anyone showing up but me Morgan and you Ben?

Brian

PS I may even drive to get some methanol in LA as it seems you can run more boost with it than the current denatured I'm running now! Who else is going to the track is anyone plannin on it aside from Ben and I??

The over under on Mike showing is 50/50, a toss up. I haven't asked Adam yet, but if he's available he will show. I think 4-5 guys is about the max we would want anyway. Fortunately, your projects are a little spread around the car, though several require access to the engine bay. More than 5 would be kind of chaotic. We really should be able to hammer all of this out in a few hours. (4~ guys @ 4~ hours is 16~ man-hours).

I've heard that before about Methanol. What's the chemical reason? Methanol is obviously a different molecule than Ethanol, but what is it about that molecular difference?

As for going to the track, Sean is going for sure, but probably won't be bring out the Cobra. Chate may be going, but won't be bringing the Vette. We might be rendevouzing with a guy from Corvette forums on the way there. What about Matt, Mike and those guys? Why don't you contact them and point them to the Caravan thread. So at the moment, the only guys caravaning and running at the track for sure is me and you.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I will be there on Saturday to work. What time does stuff start? Also, I won't make this track event, but I'm looking into doing one of those private track events later this year. Alternative Motoring has a tentative list of dates up for the rest of the year and many of them are on Sunday. I'd much rather pay $100 to run like 12-16 times than deal with the normal crap. I will add the dates to the calendar as they become confirmed. Here is the tentative list:

2008 EVENT SCHEDULE:
March 22 (8am - 5pm) *** sold out ***
April 25 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
June 15 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
July 13 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
October 25 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
September 26 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
November 14 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
December 5 or 7 (8am - 5pm) *** Pending Track Approval ***
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #19

"Methanol has a better latency of heat value (means it will cool your charge more) and has higher specific energy (will make more power when afrs are adjusted to match)"

From one of the alky guru's on TB.com. Also many of the guys say they have been successful in running a few more pounds of boost and timing with meth.... I will probably grab that this weekend too and do all my tuning with that once I get my new chip! I am going to also check if my wastegate rod is completely tapped out or if I cam squeeze a few more pounds of boost out of it. They also claimed that methanol runs "leaner" which would be good as my car is fat as a big as is anyway. If I could hit 22 lbs of boost 24* of timing or something that would be ideal and should kick ass! We'll see what happens here should be a very productive 2 weeks and am very interested to see wtf is going to happen. If I could approach a Sean like time in his cobra that'd be super kick ass I'll say that much!

Brian

ps if I rebuild my tranny and get a new turbo I may invest the 100 bucks to really go out and re tune the beast, I'm just suspicious of beating the shit out of my trans with say 8-12 runs as it sits. I really need to do a tranny cooler....oh how the list always continues! Ben looks like we're the loan rangers we gotta line up at the track so you can hand me my ass
Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

I don't know if you're interested in a 700R4, but I think Paul just picked one up super cheap and it only has like 10,000 miles on it. I don't know if you want to go over to a 4 speed (1st is very steep like 3.6 and 4th is a nice freeway .74), but you might be able to get it from him for less than a rebuild of your current tranny. Just a thought.

What about those other guys (Mike, Matt) for the track? In any event, Sean is still coming out to take some videos and do some promotion. We'll have to work that out too. As for me, I'm definitely running, but at least my first pass or so, I'll be a little timid until I'm confident things are solid after my last experience.

BTW, (sorry I don't know), is the TB a body on frame or a unibody?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)