Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Unless you have a fiber optic or an hdmi or a digital coax connection to your amp, it will only be 2 channel anyways. Also, if you don't know how to setup the amp to play in 5 channel mode, which is common, you'll end up with 5 speakers playing stereo.

Keep in mind, few things are recorded in 5 channel or higher, and even fewer in 7 channel. If it comes down to sacrificing speaker quality for the extra two channels, I say forget it.

Then again, if you're buying your speakers at Best Buy or Circuit City, you have a 95% chance of ending up with shitty speakers, even higher if you buy what the salesman recommends.

Question to help your purchase: Does your satellite/ cable box have a digital audio out of some kind? Does your DVD player have a digital out of some kind? If not, you will get only stereo from that source.

My cousin works for JBL.

I know what good speakers sound like. My Advents are the bomb.

No, cable or satellite yet. I would be starting from the beginning.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypal View Post
Whats your budget. I know of a set of speakers that go for 65k. Made of oak pissed on by a retarded monkey or someshit. CES show is awesome for crazy stuff like that. Its not at the convention center its in some guys hotel room. The whole hotel gets rented out and thats where you see the coolest most expensive stuff. And hookers.
BUT on a real note, what is your budget?
I will build a system around the Home Hifi.

So I can spend what I need over time. Just need to get enough info to do it right. I can research this, but I trust most of you to have faith in what you people tell me. That way I will know enough to ask the right questions.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordy racer View Post
if you blueray, you need the HDMI cable to get the full usage.. if your TV is not new, it won't have it.. i had to start from sq one with my home system..

50 flat screen panasonic..
sony blueray player..
sony head unit with 100 watts each channel (500 total)

i love my Bose cubes, that are the shit .. i also have a 15 sub in the corner, kicking the bass..

Nice system!

Don't have my HD TV yet. I have a grasp on them so far.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I have stacked Advents. They have 8 inch woofers and custom tweeters.

They are very clear and crisp.

Will get a sub-woofer if needed.
If you can, you need to get a matching center channel speaker to go with the four you already have. Otherwise as the sound moves from one side in the front to the other it will cound different between the speakers. As for a sub, with 8 inch woofers in the main speakers you won't need a huge one. A good 10 should fill the room nicely. You can also hide it easier so it's not out in the middle of the floor. That was one of my goals when I built my system. Both of my subs are hidden, the Bose is in a cabnet and the Sony is behind the TV. I'll take some pictures later to show you what I did.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
If you can, you need to get a matching center channel speaker to go with the four you already have. Otherwise as the sound moves from one side in the front to the other it will cound different between the speakers. As for a sub, with 8 inch woofers in the main speakers you won't need a huge one. A good 10 should fill the room nicely. You can also hide it easier so it's not out in the middle of the floor. That was one of my goals when I built my system. Both of my subs are hidden, the Bose is in a cabnet and the Sony is behind the TV. I'll take some pictures later to show you what I did.
For once I disagree with you, 10s are too tiny for a living room. I have two 15" subs in my bedroom. We used to have an 18" sub in our living room and 2 15" woofers.

A 10 rarely has the balls to make good bass below 45hz. A good 12 could do it, but most 12 can't even handle making bass down to 30hz.

Also, bose speakers suck. Bose will not let anything out of their factory unless there is a 500% profit margin. And the frequency response is shit. They shock you with too much treble and too much mid bass to stun your ears and cover the fact that their 2" woofers sound like poopy.

Did I mention that my Dad is a speaker engineer who has also done work for JBL and that I worked as a speaker tech for a pro loud speaker company for two years? Then I worked at Best Buy for a year and began to realize how crappy the merchandise really is.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
For once I disagree with you, 10s are too tiny for a living room. I have two 15" subs in my bedroom. We used to have an 18" sub in our living room and 2 15" woofers.

A 10 rarely has the balls to make good bass below 45hz. A good 12 could do it, but most 12 can't even handle making bass down to 30hz.

Also, bose speakers suck. Bose will not let anything out of their factory unless there is a 500% profit margin. And the frequency response is shit. They shock you with too much treble and too much mid bass to stun your ears and cover the fact that their 2" woofers sound like poopy.

Did I mention that my Dad is a speaker engineer who has also done work for JBL and that I worked as a speaker tech for a pro loud speaker company for two years? Then I worked at Best Buy for a year and began to realize how crappy the merchandise really is.

I have no idea how it came to be that people think mountains of bass is a good thing, probably some sort of primal thing. If you're going for physical feeling with explosions from movies and whatnot, you're basically right about the size needed for woofers and subs. That is if the intention is to have something you more feel nearly as much as hear.

Unless you're pumping a lot of gansta rap and hip hop, I'm not so sure larger than 12 is required on your main stack and 10s would be fine. I guess what I'm saying is (depending on the room too!) 12s on your mains with a 15 sub would be plenty for bass in most typical house settings.

(You have two 15s in your tiny bedroom. Trying to turn your room into a vibrator or something? )

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Quote:

You must have a really big family room then. My Sony has dual 10's powered by 500 watts RMS and I had to turn it down some because it was too much bass and made the whole room shake. I do agree with you that the Bose stuff sucks but it fit my room the way I wanted and was as much as I could afford at the time. My personal preferrence would be to have 4 Polk Audio LSi25's for the front/rear R/L and Polk Audio LSiC for the center channel. Then use a Velodyne Optimum-10 subwoofer.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
Neanderthal

Quote:

Speakers seem to be in the family.

This is the stuff I need to hear/read.

Do you run your system up till your ears bleed?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
You must have a really big family room then. My Sony has dual 10's powered by 500 watts RMS and I had to turn it down some because it was too much bass and made the whole room shake. I do agree with you that the Bose stuff sucks but it fit my room the way I wanted and was as much as I could afford at the time. My personal preferrence would be to have 4 Polk Audio LSi25's for the front/rear R/L and Polk Audio LSiC for the center channel. Then use a Velodyne Optimum-10 subwoofer.
"My personal preferrence would be to have 4 Polk Audio LSi25's for the front/rear R/L and Polk Audio LSiC for the center channel. Then use a Velodyne Optimum-10 subwoofe"

This is that kind of thing I'm looking for. Stuff to check out and specs to work with.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Neanderthal

You guys can try and "TECH" me out here. I'll keep up.
2016 Nissan Altma