Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

True. Having had a 5.0 built up as a road race setup (granted, fox-4 chassis, but basically the same thing) Id say there is something almost...too sanitary about the c5.

Sure, it goes and stops and turns, but its supposed to. Having a mustang that did it...well that was unusual. Also, the car feels kind of sedate while doing it, whereas that old sn95 never felt sedate doing anything. Of all the cars ive had (and there have been lots ) thats one that I regret selling.

Id say think about it good and hard before pulling the trigger on anything, as in my experience most of my car modding experiences hit that stage where everything thats left is very expensive, and i start looking around for that next thing that I think might be better. I guess its part of the addiction, eh?

Having gone from one to the other, id love to help you out with any specific questions or whatnot, although one thing about the C5 nobody told me - about 40% of the driveways and parking lot entrances in the world are totally unusable, even at stock ride height. Gets to be a bit annoying

Again, is there a reason youre not considering an 03-04 cobra? They really do handle much better than people give them credit for, and they actually have quite a few folks who road race them on a semi-professional basis, and do well. The parts are there, and of course power is no issue, and incredibly inexpensive.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
pain's fun, hit me again

I do have to toss out a few things about my car to compare to the vette, 2800lbs, 1.05g with street tires and 1.2-1.3g with road slicks, 100-0 in 84', but an 8.7 1/8th mile
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
True. Having had a 5.0 built up as a road race setup (granted, fox-4 chassis, but basically the same thing) Id say there is something almost...too sanitary about the c5.

Sure, it goes and stops and turns, but its supposed to. Having a mustang that did it...well that was unusual. Also, the car feels kind of sedate while doing it, whereas that old sn95 never felt sedate doing anything. Of all the cars ive had (and there have been lots ) thats one that I regret selling.

Id say think about it good and hard before pulling the trigger on anything, as in my experience most of my car modding experiences hit that stage where everything thats left is very expensive, and i start looking around for that next thing that I think might be better. I guess its part of the addiction, eh?

Having gone from one to the other, id love to help you out with any specific questions or whatnot, although one thing about the C5 nobody told me - about 40% of the driveways and parking lot entrances in the world are totally unusable, even at stock ride height. Gets to be a bit annoying

Again, is there a reason youre not considering an 03-04 cobra? They really do handle much better than people give them credit for, and they actually have quite a few folks who road race them on a semi-professional basis, and do well. The parts are there, and of course power is no issue, and incredibly inexpensive.
Well being as my k member and subframes are 3" away from the ground it probably about the same.

Only reason i didnt look at termi's is well, i think new edges are ugly. I know the chassis like the back of my hand and i know any mustang can handle, but i dont care for the modular platform and really dont care for the looks, plus i could touch a decent termi for under 19k, whereas C5's are in the 12-15k range, heres one i have been considering
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1960191597.html
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #14

You're actually going to find yourself above what a c5 can do in the handling department,and most likely in the acceleration game as well. It may be a better idea to just do yourself up a moderate stroker build with any of the new aluminum windsor blocks - dont have to be that extreme when youre working with 400+ CI. A solid C/H/I 427 windsor motor should give you all the go you're looking for, id imagine.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #15

yes. get that car and swap interiors with me. I must have a mod red interior.

All kidding aside, hell of a deal, if you're going to be replacing suspension, brakes and motor the mileage shouldn't matter, and EB is awful pretty.

Though the reason its so cheap is that there is almost no market for high mileage Z's. So many have very low mileage for not much more, so if resale is at all a concern, be warned. It wasnt for me, and most likely isnt for you, but just FYI.

One more option...(Forgive me for saying this..kinda want to punch myself for it) is an LSX in your fox. Its actually a common swap, and would save you the time/money required to bring the vette up to par in the handling department, and you could sell your 5.0 to offset some of the cost.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
You're actually going to find yourself above what a c5 can do in the handling department,and most likely in the acceleration game as well. It may be a better idea to just do yourself up a moderate stroker build with any of the new aluminum windsor blocks - dont have to be that extreme when youre working with 400+ CI. A solid C/H/I 427 windsor motor should give you all the go you're looking for, id imagine.
Well i already have a dart 8.2 deck true 4 bolt main 347, with all the trimmings in my shop. Just needs a cam train, heads, lifters, clutch, tranny, rebuild the rear axle since the axle since the guy i got the axle from, while he did use a torsen LSD, he kept the stock 28 spline axles so i will need an all new Torsen etc. The thing i cant beat the vette in is, comfort, fuel mileage, having a stereo, not freezing my balls off in the morning, not sweating my ass off in the afternoon.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #17

comes down to whether you'd be willing to take a small step down in capability for a big step up in comfort, really. And only you can make that call.

However, you may be looking at this the wrong way around. I cant imagine there's much of a market for your fox as it sits, and between that and the mod money needed in a c5 to bring it up to where youd want it to be...it may actually be cheaper to just buy a stock early C5 coupe and DD it, and keep the fox?

My honest opinion is that this is just normal mid build blues, kind of a mid-life crisis of sorts, and that the grass just seems greener and all that. But if it would help you make your decision, as I said, you're welcome to have a turn in the Z

Also, why not just back off a bit on the fox? Reinstall the A/C, step down a touch on the spring rates ( I assume you are running coilovers? ) and throw in some dynamat, youd arrive at roughly the same place, with a lot less wasted $$ than throwing away all that hard work youve already put in.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
comes down to whether you'd be willing to take a small step down in capability for a big step up in comfort, really. And only you can make that call.

However, you may be looking at this the wrong way around. I cant imagine there's much of a market for your fox as it sits, and between that and the mod money needed in a c5 to bring it up to where youd want it to be...it may actually be cheaper to just buy a stock early C5 coupe and DD it, and keep the fox?

My honest opinion is that this is just normal mid build blues, kind of a mid-life crisis of sorts, and that the grass just seems greener and all that. But if it would help you make your decision, as I said, you're welcome to have a turn in the Z

Also, why not just back off a bit on the fox? Reinstall the A/C, step down a touch on the spring rates ( I assume you are running coilovers? ) and throw in some dynamat, youd arrive at roughly the same place, with a lot less wasted $$ than throwing away all that hard work youve already put in.
All things that would hinder ability now, if i put some dynamat in, and the ac and lowered the springs rates then it wouldnt be what it is now, and i would still need the power, i tried picking up a C5 but many finance companies wont finance for cars like that and if i had the cash to buy one outright i probably wouldnt have made this thread, maybe i just needed to vent a bit.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #19

weve all been there brother Stick with it, your fox sounds like a monster, and i'm sure you're going to love it once you get there. Nothing is as rewarding as having all the work pay off with the car you've always wanted.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
weve all been there brother Stick with it, your fox sounds like a monster, and i'm sure you're going to love it once you get there. Nothing is as rewarding as having all the work pay off with the car you've always wanted.
I love it, but i love vettes too
here's the ride