Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #171
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Sorry to hear about that Guy. What's the game plan for the cage? They have pre-bent cages that just require welding?

We basically need ~$300 to finish the motor?
If we do what we really want/were thinking

$300 Heads
$150 Plugs, wires, Gaskets (I scanned from Ron's post)
$75 FW
______
$525
-$100~ in the bank

$425 NET

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #172
pain's fun, hit me again

CMC is camaro mustang challenge. Basically a stock suspension class.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #173
I, Vettezuki

See OP with update to list of stuff that's needed to be a little more comprehensive.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #174
pain's fun, hit me again

I dropped off the mc and water pump to ron today. Not sure what i'll need now that i've had my little mishap.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #175
I, Vettezuki

BADDASSC6 brings up a point that is worth confirming solidly.

If we go with this H&C package we would like to, making approximately 300whp (supposedly) what are the odds the stock trans/clutch with even slightly sticky tires is going to hold?

If we keep the old 302 bone stock (as is) for now, here are the PROS & CONS:
PROS
- Limited money and time can go to completing the car sooner.
- After sales we'd actually be within the rules (or very close) to a $500 car, building out the H&C 302 will certainly put us over $500 by a bit
- It almost certainly won't overpower the trans/clutch.
- Safer for less experienced drivers; it just won't be that fast.
- We can always revisit the motor in the future to upgrade it after everything else is settled

CONS
- Mainly its gonna be kinda whimpy. The bone stock 302 is only marginally more powerful and obviously a lot heavier than the stock I4, whereas a 300WHP < 3,000lbs car with good gearing is going to be pretty snappy and just plain more fun to drive.

See poll. Input please.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #176
Fast & Filthy

I say build the engine. I don't think with the cast iron 2 barrel intake and the 2 barrel carb we're going to make more than around 230-250hp to the wheels. The trans and an inexpensive clutch will hold up fine behind it. Especially with a light car. I had the T5 and stock clutch last for a while before I built the blown engine in the Cobra. Back then it was making 254hp to the wheels. Remember that this engine has 109,000 miles on it. We at least would need to put in new valve springs and lap the valves and for a couple hundred more we could have ported heads that are already set up with a spring package that works with the cam we purchased.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #177
pain's fun, hit me again

What Ron said

Stopping the world!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #178
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I say build the engine. I don't think with the cast iron 2 barrel intake and the 2 barrel carb we're going to make more than around 230-250hp to the wheels. The trans and an inexpensive clutch will hold up fine behind it. Especially with a light car. I had the T5 and stock clutch last for a while before I built the blown engine in the Cobra. Back then it was making 254hp to the wheels. Remember that this engine has 109,000 miles on it. We at least would need to put in new valve springs and lap the valves and for a couple hundred more we could have ported heads that are already set up with a spring package that works with the cam we purchased.
I'm not opposing, just teasing out all the details.

H&C
The H&C is $410 ($300 heads + $110 cam/lifters) and X labor.

TOUCHING UP STOCK
Valve springs are $40~, and lapping valves is Y$/labor.

The spread is more like $300 isn't it? That's probably a cage and a start on wheels and tires.

Though I certainly get your basic point that for a relatively small amount of money, the difference in performance is substantial.

Now, keep in mind Guy is out for labor and maybe some parts (fuel pump?, alternator?, seats?). This is a change in available resources from our starting position. It means less available wrenching power and potentially higher part costs if we have to source more bits.

I'm extremely limited on funds, maybe another couple hundred over the next SEVERAL months. The H&C is definitely nice to do, clearly, but not strictly necessary in the short term, and check out the list of things still needed. Now, if somebody wants to pony up an extra $400 I wasn't considering likely, then fine, it's a slam dunk. But what I absolutely do NOT want to happen is finish the H&C engine, then have it sit for six months because there's no more $$ for the list of stuff still needed. Opposite of the Snake, time, not quality is the priority.

It's a smallish tangential issue, but showing up with a car with performance obviously out of cost scope probably isn't so clever. Again, I hope someone can make it to do recon on the real deal. The intent of the car was to be available and use for a variety of things, not just Lemons, so that's not such a big deal really, but Lemons was the driver, it'd be nice to take a legit crack at it and not just be rejected.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #179
pain's fun, hit me again

Alternator is the same, just FYI. I have another stocker just in case it doesnt work since i upgraded to a 3g long ago.

Stopping the world!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #180
Fast & Filthy

I just looked up some valve springs through Summit and you're right, we can pick some up for around $50. So I say we at least clean up the stock heads we have (mild porting by me), install new springs and valve stem seals and install the cam we already purchased. That will extend our powerband from 4000 rpms up to 5500 rpms.

As soon as I have the Explorer done I'll pull the heads and see what kind of shape the engine is in.