Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Boost Junkie

Default Question for Enkeivette

Firstly, can this subforum be changed to Suspension/Handling? I wasn't sure where to place this... Doesn't have anything to do with suspension per say and handling doesn't have a section.

I've got a concept that I've been rolling around in my head for a while now... here is my disclaimer:

By presenting this concept to you I am in no way intending on using my theory. I am in no way stating any belief in this concept. I am in no way stating that I think this is the right and correct thing to do. This post is for information and theory only. I am in no way stating that there is actually any benefit to this theory. I am simply asking whether or not, in theory, this would be a beneficial situation when set up correctly.

OK that being said, Adam I respectfully request that before you say it's impossible and that it wouldn't work to truly thing about the big picture and the actual point that I'm trying to get at.

OK the problem:

Neon SRT4s are notoriously light on the rear end. High speeds, Wet ground, Braking + turning are all recipies for disaster. The back end is just too light to handle as effectively as it potentially could.

Solution:

Even out the handling characteristics between the front and rear end to balance the car and provide more traction in the rear.

Methods:

Aero:
Undercarriage diffuser, front lip, rear diffuser, adjustments to spoiler to improve downforce and stability, canards f/r...

Traction:
Wide tires and rims (widest that could be possibly fit) coupled with staggered fitment ( here is where i would like you to pay close attention ) with wider wheels in the back and a lower offset wheel. Possibly spacers. I know this is a FWD car. I'm not talking about drag, I'm talking specifically road courses, time attacks, etc. I'm essentially talking about 17x8.5F and 17x9.5R with the appropriate tire sizes to match. Again this is NOT something I have in mind for my car currently i'm just curious to see what type of effect this might have on the handling characteristics for a purpose built road course car. I know people run staggered fitment in RWD, I also know why. I'm only asking if it will help make the car more stable in the rear.

Any pros? Cons?

Anybody at all please feel free to jump in!

Adam, I only asked because you seem to be pretty confident and I really didn't want to ask the drag racers on SRTforums...

Discuss

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

As far as changing the title of the forum, that is a job for the forum Gods (Sean and Benzuki) SuperMods can't touch that.

So sorry that you feel you had to post a disclaimer. But I guess I am a dick, so maybe I deserve that. Haha. So I'll try to be less of a dick in the future.

I wouldn't worry too much about aero additions to your car, those typically come into play at 120mph+ from my understanding. And they wouldn't help you very much on a road course seeing as how you'll probably average 60-80 mph max around the turns.

As far as wider tires in the rear, totally. I had that in my head before I read your suggestion. If your ass is light, up the traction, RWD, FWD, AWD or jet powered. Rubber is always good. More rubber is better. Stiffness in suspension, and thickness of your sway bars is prob always going to be limited by traction.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
As far as changing the title of the forum, that is a job for the forum Gods (Sean and Benzuki) SuperMods can't touch that.

So sorry that you feel you had to post a disclaimer. But I guess I am a dick, so maybe I deserve that. Haha. So I'll try to be less of a dick in the future.

I wouldn't worry too much about aero additions to your car, those typically come into play at 120mph+ from my understanding. And they wouldn't help you very much on a road course seeing as how you'll probably average 60-80 mph max around the turns.

As far as wider tires in the rear, totally. I had that in my head before I read your suggestion. If your ass is light, up the traction, RWD, FWD, AWD or jet powered. Rubber is always good. More rubber is better. Stiffness in suspension, and thickness of your sway bars is prob always going to be limited by traction.
Just don't want you to think I'm stupid haha. I also believe you're correct about the Aero features... I'm sure it helps to some degree at other speeds as well but so little that it may not be worth mention. When my car becomes a road monster then I'll have an entire undercarriage kit set up for it.

Also, I'm sure it's not entirely your fault... I'm quite excellent at provoking the wrong people! I had a huge coworker who basically told everyone he was going to grind my face into the carpet. I simply disagreed and he thought he knew best

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!

Last edited by BlacknBoostn : 12-02-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed