Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Oh I misunderstood his test. I thought he had the engine fully dressed on the engine dyno and was measuring a 23% loss through the driveline alone basically. Let's say a more expected driveline loss is around 17% +- 1~%. That means there's something like an additional 5% from the accessories and exhaust. That's totally believable.
Yeah, you did the same thing I did. My first response to him was, 23%? Don't believe it.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Internet Tough Guy

Well This does seem accurate, but it's all int he definition of drivetrain losses. Most people call drivetrain losses as power that the motor is actually making that is lost in the inefficiency of the rest of the drive train. Here we are talking about a motor that was dynoed on two different dynos with different exhaust and other minor differences. If I dyno my car with open long tube headers then drop it in a car with stock manifolds. The chassis dyno will also show a +20% loss. Even greater with true 180 degree headers.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Yes but you have to remember that those flywheel numbers are SAE net numbers. That means the engine was tested with all belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls and a complete exhaust. Whereas the 496 for example was tested with open headers and an electric water pump only.
So the 496 flywheel horsepower numbers is more inline with the gross hp numbers of old then? That would explain the larger hp loss to the wheels.
BTW, the AC was running on my dyno run, I forgot to turn off the climate control or shut off the AC. I found out that in the STS-V the AC compressor is still engaged at WOT unlike most cars that I am used to that shuts off the compressor at WOT.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #24
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
So the 496 flywheel horsepower numbers is more inline with the gross hp numbers of old then? That would explain the larger hp loss to the wheels.
BTW, the AC was running on my dyno run, I forgot to turn off the climate control or shut off the AC. I found out that in the STS-V the AC compressor is still engaged at WOT unlike most cars that I am used to that shuts off the compressor at WOT.

Bob
Exactly, it is just like the old SAE gross numbers.

I'm surprised that your compressor didn't shut off at WOT. I thought that they did this to one help power output but two to help with fuel mileage.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #25

I was suprised too that the compressor doesn't shut off at WOT. Who knows, I might have been able to squeeze out a couple more hp with the compressor off. Next time, I'll remember.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z