Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #21

I think neither compare to a Spearco but that's just me standing behind there rep.

Do you prefer both openings on one end tank like your second link? I can find a Spearco in that style too but if your set on the generics I think you'll be fine but at peak RPM I think you'll find it tapering off if it can't keep up.

AHH hell just get this!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MONST...item3a56a357ec
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #22

Keep in mind that any intercooler will kill off some boost, in my case about 3 lbs. Figure this into the pulley diameter/boost equation. The Procharger intercoolers are said to be fairly efficient. I think I did 14 consecutive pulls last dyno session, (even burning half way through a tie down strap) and the highest bonnet air temps I saw was 120* at 16+ lbs. of boost.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
I think neither compare to a Spearco but that's just me standing behind there rep.

Do you prefer both openings on one end tank like your second link? I can find a Spearco in that style too but if your set on the generics I think you'll be fine but at peak RPM I think you'll find it tapering off if it can't keep up.

AHH hell just get this!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MONST...item3a56a357ec
That one might actually work. But is it worth the extra $90 over the one in the first link?

I have about 9" of height under the headlights. But if I tilt the intercooler back at an angle I can fit a 12" one, probably. I'm thinking I'll go with a 12" and lean it back. That wouldn't matter would it?

I don't care where the outlets are. Pipes are all going to be custom anyways.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Super Moderator

This one is just as good isn't it? Same dimensions with openings on either side. I offered him $140 to pick it up locally, we'll see what he says. If he goes for it I might pick it up this weekend.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #25
Super Moderator

I've got another question and I realize how cheap this makes me sound, but I am serious. Is there any reason this can't be done with plastic pipe? Like PVC? I would think it would be better to keep the heat from the motor out.

I would still prob use metal bends though. I don't think I could keep it mandrel with plastic pieces.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #26
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I've got another question and I realize how cheap this makes me sound, but I am serious. Is there any reason this can't be done with plastic pipe? Like PVC? I would think it would be better to keep the heat from the motor out.

I would still prob use metal bends though. I don't think I could keep it mandrel with plastic pieces.

Mmm, my biggest concern in that case would probably be the joints between metal and plastic. They would expand at different rates under heat. I could imagine that the couplings would work loose faster and you could boost leaks.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #27

WOOOOOOW that took me back to my cheapo days. I used PVC pipe on my first Supe, I had those suckers powder coated black LOL and I'll tell you what I never popped one off....EVER. It's cheap and EFFECTIVE, at least for me it was. I was put down by pretty much every dude at any car meet too but meh.....last I checked the pink slip had my name on it not theirs. I'm a bit skeptical if it will work with the pressures being put out from your blower though.

Is it possible to tilt forward? Air will glide through it much easier in that position. When you get all that stuff done make sure you have all the undercover guards bolted up to make sure air gets pushed through it. Air takes the path of least resistance and it ain't your intercooler

Edit: I'm still super cheap today
Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I'm cheaper than you I'm sure.

I've thought about the effect of air and tilting it forward, but unfortunately I would have to tilt it back. Still should get more air than a V mount though.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #29

Welp whatever works, on the dyno the fan should point directly at it anyways. I'd join the dyno pool but I'm CHEAP

Hope to see some pics of the new set up soon.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Max-F...Q5fAccessories

Perfect size! 4" thick & cheap too! Think this is big enough for the power?

Edit: Uh oh, this is a DELTA FIN, is that not as good as a BAR AND PLATE?