Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
Fast & Filthy

I received my front and rear 4.56 gears and finished installing the rears today. I still have to pick up my ARB air locker for the front and then get an install kit and an air compressor but I should have it ready for the November 8th run. I can't wait to get it out again. It's been down for over a year.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I received my front and rear 4.56 gears and finished installing the rears today. I still have to pick up my ARB air locker for the front and then get an install kit and an air compressor but I should have it ready for the November 8th run. I can't wait to get it out again. It's been down for over a year.
That's awesome Ron, are you going to do the gears yourself?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
That's awesome Ron, are you going to do the gears yourself?
I do everything myself. It took me about 5 hours to do the rears.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I do everything myself. It took me about 5 hours to do the rears.
Someday I'd like to regear the Jeep to return it to stcok total ratio. I'm running 31.5" tires, so it's considerably taller gearing than with the original 27" tires (as I recall). Maybe you could help a brother out someday.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
Graphics B*tch

Gears scare me. From what I know they are pretty easy to do but at the same time...f-em up and that is one expensive mistake. I had the gears done in my F-150 years ago and had a ring gear bolt "fail" on me as the installer said about 10 months later. Then after new bearings, L/S, ABS sensor, diff cover ($600) the same thing happened again 2 years later (on 2 more of the bolt). Went back to the same guy pissed and he said he would look at everything for me and re-do everything for the price of a fluid change ($100) just to be fair. Butthole already had $1200 of my money so I told him to piss off. Went down to Currie and bought new ring gear bolts that happened to be about .25" or so longer than the ones in there and with a bigger head. Did not take out the gears. Un-screwed every other bolt and installed the new ones with good old red locktite and then did the remaining ones. No problems since. been at least 15K miles. That was a total tangent but Jay over at PDC in Brea pisses me off, oh did I just name drop.

BTW Ron if you have an extra seat I would love to ride in the Exploder.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #16
I, Vettezuki

I don't know about Jeeps and Exploders, but I'm assuming it's the same story as any rear end, most of it is fairly straight forward, you just better get the backlash right, which requires the correct tools, a little paying attention, and some experience doesn't hurt.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
BTW Ron if you have an extra seat I would love to ride in the Exploder.
I do and your welcome to take it. However, my wife and daughters will be in the truck so remember the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I don't know about Jeeps and Exploders, but I'm assuming it's the same story as any rear end, most of it is fairly straight forward, you just better get the backlash right, which requires the correct tools, a little paying attention, and some experience doesn't hurt.
There's more to it than just the back lash. You also have to have the pre-load correct on the pinion and carrier bearings as well as the correct pinion depth. The rear is a Ford 8.8 so the it uses a crush sleeve which makes it easier. The pattern on the ring gear was perfect so I didn't have to shim the pinion.

I haven't done the front yet because I haven't picked up the ARB or the install kit but my brother told me it's going to take a lot longer. The front is a Dana 30 and it uses shims to set the pre-load on the pinion. So unless I get lucky and get it right the first time I'm going to have to add or remove shims to get it right which requires removing the pinion and re-installing it.

Ben, what gear ratio is in you Jeep now? The Explorer also had 27 inch tires with 3.73 gears stock. When I went to 31's I lost a little bottom end but I also have the 4.0 V6 so it wasn't too bad. I imagine it hurts a little more with the 4 banger in the Jeep. On my truck it made a difference of 3mph at 70mph. When my speedometer said 70 I was actually going 73.

I'd be happy to help you re-gear your Jeep. It will be a little easier on yours because you won't be replacing the carriers just the ring and pinions. One thing that you need to know though is that the Dana use two different carriers. One for 3.55 and lower (numerically) gears and one for 3.73 and higher gears. The Dana 30 I used in my front has 3.55 gears so for me to move to 4.56 gear I have to change the carrier which I was going to do anyways.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Fast & Filthy

Thought I'd bring back this old thread with some new pictures. The trans is going out in the Explorer so I went to the wrecking and pulled one from another truck which ended being the wrong trans. Anyways, while I was there I saw another Explorer with a prerunner bumper and it was bolted on so I pulled it to see how much they wanted for it. I ended up only paying $30 for it! What do you think of it? It is all DOM tubing even.