Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default What's the most effective martial art for self defense?

No, not a gun, just you (and maybe your ability to grab and use whatever may be in your government).

- Easy to teach/learn
- Effective in defending against attacks from different styles

Mixed Martial Arts (Ultimate Fighting stuff)
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (Still taught by the armed forces)
Krav Maga (Israeli armed forces)
Pankration (Traditional Greek quasi-MMA)

I figure they're all roughly the same. Each involve punching and kicking, locks and grappling to some degree. I kind of like Pankration for the flare in throwing (a la Grecco Roman wrestling)

Things like San Su Kung Fu are pretty awesome but take years to learn at a high level.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The ancient art of arguing with a woman, no man has ever been able to master this art.

I don't really know, I would guess Judo because I hear it's similar to wrestling. In the few fights I've been in I always take them down to the floor and am able to keep them there. I fought with two guys once and both of them together couldn't pin me and I only played in highschool for a few years. If you watch UFC which is a fair comparison between all styles and mixed styles, the fight always comes down to the floor collegiate wrestling style. It's hard to throw a punch at me while I have my leg wrapped around you and my forearm on your neck pressing your face into the ground.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

I have a buddy that just recieved his black belt in Judo. He also has a black belt in Muy Thai. He's still learning Jiu Jitsu. When he I first saw him compete when he mixed it all up I was amazed. He's sloppy, but good. He has a few thropies already.

Anyways, back to the topic.... I'd say...... Judo for self defense. Normally I'd say Muy Thai.... but you'd have to start when your young to really learn the old school way(but that's my opinion).

CARTune independent service
7960 ronson rd.
San Diego, CA. 92111
shop phone - 858-715-1804
Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Akido, tight fighting, throws, and effective. IMO Best street fighting martial art availabile.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Akido, tight fighting, throws, and effective. IMO Best street fighting martial art availabile.
I did Aikido for a little while. It's beautiful, but takes a LOONG time to get good at. Being born from Aikijitsu, it's also not particularly oriented toward defending against punches and kicks, more of a throw and break bones kind thing from the Samurai days when they had some armor (i.e., punching no worky). The thing that's particularly unique about Aikido, once mastered, is that you don't have to be all that strong, and certainly not stronger than your opponent, to whoop'em.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)