Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default How does one sue a city over a parking violation

Long story short, I got a parking ticket for parking on the street in front of someone's house I was picking up on a street sweeper day. I was inside the person's house for like 15 minutes when the parking Nazi gave me a ticket. I had no idea it was sweeper day, I don't live there, etc. I submit this in writing to them to contest my ticket. They say go pound sand, there are signs posted at the entry to the tract. Bullshit, I went back and checked, there ain't no signs posted along the route I took to get to this house, not one.

Anyway, I'm guessing I should pay my fine, then do I just take the city to small claims to get it back? How can I make this unpleasant for them. I don't care about the money at all, but when the government starts extorting money, that's when I go ape shit. The man picked on the wrong right wing nut job. Where's my Kalashnikov, ah here it is.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Long story short, I got a parking ticket for parking on the street in front of someone's house I was picking up on a street sweeper day. I was inside the person's house for like 15 minutes when the parking Nazi gave me a ticket. I had no idea it was sweeper day, I don't live there, etc. I submit this in writing to them to contest my ticket. They say go pound sand, there are signs posted at the entry to the tract. Bullshit, I went back and checked, there ain't no signs posted along the route I took to get to this house, not one.

Anyway, I'm guessing I should pay my fine, then do I just take the city to small claims to get it back? How can I make this unpleasant for them. I don't care about the money at all, but when the government starts extorting money, that's when I go ape shit. The man picked on the wrong right wing nut job. Where's my Kalashnikov, ah here it is.

The court could say that it is a strict liability crime, mens rea (intent to commit the crime) not required. That's how traffic violations work, not sure about parking violations. If anything you'd probably just be playing on the mercy of the judge.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
The court could say that it is a strict liability crime, mens rea (intent to commit the crime) not required. That's how traffic violations work, not sure about parking violations. If anything you'd probably just be playing on the mercy of the judge.

Where's my "Anarchist's Cook Book" . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
The letter back from the city cites a legal code regarding the placement of signs at the entrance of the tract. As stated, the signs do not exist. I checked; twice.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hmmm, so maybe there is some clause in there that the signs must be visible. Go fight it, take lots of pictures!

The sad thing is that you'll spend hours of time taking pictures and waiting to talk with the judge to save $30. But you should do it on principle. I hate those little parking control f*cks, that drive around in their white rangers and white jeeps, making everyones day miserable. I really really want to get revenge on one of them.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Hmmm, so maybe there is some clause in there that the signs must be visible. Go fight it, take lots of pictures!

The sad thing is that you'll spend hours of time taking pictures and waiting to talk with the judge to save $30. But you should do it on principle. I hate those little parking control f*cks, that drive around in their white rangers and white jeeps, making everyones day miserable. I really really want to get revenge on one of them.

That's how I feel. Couldn't care less about the money. I'll get the code later. You can help me Matlock.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Anyway, I'm guessing I should pay my fine, then do I just take the city to small claims to get it back?
I wouldn't recommend paying the fine first. I know in certain situations, paying the fine means you've acknowledged/accepted the terms and as such, you have no case to argue against said fines.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Do what Sean always threatens to do....pay then in pennies.....3000 pennies.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
That's how I feel. Couldn't care less about the money. I'll get the code later. You can help me Matlock.
I was thinking Perry Mason. I used that thought when I fought....well that's a long story---but they did clock me at over 135 and still pulling away. Yea, those where the days.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
Do what Sean always threatens to do....pay then in pennies.....3000 pennies.
Ha, legal tender for all debts, so saith the government themselves. It shouldn't be too hard to get that many pennies from the bank either.

I'd take them out of the rolls and mail them in a small box, just to be a dick. That is a good idea.