Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Thicker HG

Since I have to replace the HG I've decided to go with a thicker one to drop the compression so that I can run more boost in the future. With my current pulley, I will actually be making less power but when I go to intercool it I will now be able to run 20lbs of boost as opposed to 15lbs. And if I so desired, I could run 12lbs with my current setup.

I would be going from a 4.166/ .041 gasket to a 4.2/ .071 gasket. This will take me from 9.5:1 down to 8.9:1. I've also decided to go with the Fel Pro MLS over the Cometic. With the Cometic a smooth surface is even more critical, and I will obviously not be pulling the motor apart to machine the deck.

I've already calculated that with a 3.1" pulley from ATI my D1SC will make 19lbs.

Although, I don't plan to order the HG till after I pull the heads. I want to measure the piston depth myself to make sure that my numbers are right.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

So what's the over under on you making it a thousand miles with the new setup?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
So what's the over under on you making it a thousand miles with the new setup?
I'm going to be one of those guys on the forums everyone talks about that's making ridiculous power with stock parts and getting away with it, I just know it.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm going to be one of those guys on the forums everyone talks about that's making ridiculous power with stock parts and getting away with it, I just know it.
Just let me know so I can have the camera ready . . . . you know, just in case.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #5

Don't run the high boost numbers on the 4th of July. We won't be able to tell the difference between fireworks going off or your engine grenading...
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
Don't run the high boost numbers on the 4th of July. We won't be able to tell the difference between fireworks going off or your engine grenading...
Are you saying we should start practicing "he blewed his engine up"?

I have a little more faith.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
My engine will be fine, it's my diff first and my T56 second that I'm worried about.

I have a 4 bolt block, forged steel crank, forged steel I beam rods, forged aluminum pistons, arp fasteners, chromeoly one piece pushrods, billet rockers, stud girdles, and the upgraded valves and valve springs from AFR to handle the high revs.

If I do buy the Camaro, when I pull this motor out of the car I will build the trans to handle the power and upgrade the clutch. My clutch should be slipping already technically. And I would only buy a Camaro with a stout 12 bolt or 9."

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
Are you saying we should start practicing "he blewed his engine up"?

I have a little more faith.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
Are you saying we should start practicing "he blewed his engine up"? . . .
You need to practice?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
My engine will be fine, it's my diff first and my T56 second that I'm worried about. . . . .
If you clutch drop on sticky tires all kinds of shit is going to break. If you keep your wiener in your pants and practice safe acceleration, nobody will get hurt. (Not quite as much fun though.)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
If you clutch drop on sticky tires all kinds of shit is going to break. If you keep your wiener in your pants and practice safe acceleration, nobody will get hurt. (Not quite as much fun though.)
True true, but not my engine. It's built for 800hp easy so says the machine shop. IMHO the HG will always be the weakest link in the engine.