Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Important new find for evolutionary science - pretty amazing!

Pretty cool stuff. They're saying this may have been a common ancestor of both hominids and other primates.

Link to scientific paper.

Link to article.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Interesting. I'm particularly interested in PLoS ONE. Organizations like this and Wolfram (Alpha) may genuinely be the beginning of a "your feelings are irrelevant, here's what we have observed and think" kind of era. A new Renaissance? I can only hope so.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

My grand daddy ain't no monkey.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
My grand daddy ain't no monkey.
I was actually reading up on evolutionary science tonight and some of the recreations of our ancestry are kind of creepy imho. If I saw some of these coming towards me I'd definitely run the other way. Here is a sampling:

Austrolopithecus afarensis:

Austrolopithecus africanus:

Homo habilis:

Homo erectus:

Neanderthal:
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

The latest genetic data (such as it is) suggests quite strongly that our species (homo sapien) was getting it on with Neanderthal. And why not, they didn't have cars or anything. They used to think we pretty much wiped them out. It's looking more like they got absorbed and they are us now.

Of course there are a few details that need to be filled in here and there . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

Any my personal favorite:

Gigantopithecus:

Screw that. I'd only observe one of those from a tank if they were still around.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Any my personal favorite:

Gigantopithecus:

Screw that. I'd only observe one of those from a tank if they were still around.
There just making shit up now. How do you type that sound chewbacca makes?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The latest genetic data (such as it is) suggests quite strongly that our species (homo sapien) was getting it on with Neanderthal. And why not, they didn't have cars or anything. They used to think we pretty much wiped them out. It's looking more like they got absorbed and they are us now.

Of course there are a few details that need to be filled in here and there . . .
Actually the DNA studies done do not support cross breeding between homo sapiens and neanderthals. Having said that, the jury is still out:

"On November 16, 2006, Science Daily published an interview that suggested that Neanderthals and ancient humans probably did not interbreed.[citation needed] Edward M. Rubin, director of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the Joint Genome Institute (JGI), sequenced a fraction (0.00002) of genomic nuclear DNA (nDNA) from a 38,000-year-old Vindia Neanderthal femur bone. They calculated the common ancestor to be about 353,000 years ago, and a complete separation of the ancestors of the species about 188,000 years ago. Their results show the genomes of modern humans and Neanderthals are at least 99.5% identical, but despite this genetic similarity, and despite the two species having coexisted in the same geographic region for thousands of years, Rubin and his team did not find any evidence of any significant crossbreeding between the two. Rubin said, "While unable to definitively conclude that interbreeding between the two species of humans did not occur, analysis of the nuclear DNA from the Neanderthal suggests the low likelihood of it having occurred at any appreciable level."[39]

A main proponent of the interbreeding hypothesis is Erik Trinkaus of Washington University. In a 2006 study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Trinkaus and his co-authors report a possibility that Neanderthals and humans did interbreed. The study claims to settle the extinction controversy; according to researchers, the human and neanderthal populations blended together through sexual reproduction. Trinkaus states, "Extinction through absorption is a common phenomenon,"[22] and "From my perspective, the replacement vs. continuity debate that raged through the 1990s is now dead."[40] Trinkaus thinks he sees evidence of interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans in some fossils like the 24,500-year-old skeleton of a child found in Lagar Velho in Portugal.

Recently, Richard E. Green et al. from Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology published the full sequence of Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and suggested that "Neandertals had a long-term effective population size smaller than that of modern humans."[41] While reporting in Nature Journal about the same publication, James Morgan asserted that the mtDNA sequence contained clues that Neanderthals lived in "small and isolated populations, and probably did not interbreed with their human neighbours."[42][43]"

Cool Stuff:
Old 05-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

It's controversial with academic death matches going on as we speak. They very recently found some bones in a cave that have remarkably well preseved DNA (relatively speaking) and it shows mixing. I just watched a documentary on it. Plus I have proof they still exist. Here's one in a suit doing a job befitting their naturally lower IQ:

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)