Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Suspicious?

Posted my dirtbike for sale up on craigslist. And immediately I get mail from this guy asking if the the bike is for sale. I assume he meant to ask if it was still for sale. So I send him a message saying yes it is, here's the price etc. He sends me this back. Does it sound suspicious to you guys?

Pastor Richard Joe to me
show details 7:04 am (3 hours ago)

Hello,
Thanks very much for your response ,The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of the item and im okay with price. Also to let you know that payment will be by certified cashier's check or money order. In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the payment as I do not want to send the check or money order to a wrong location lest they get into the wrong hands.

Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination in the U.S.A, you do not worry about shipping, the company will send down a representative to arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.

I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving an overdraft check, which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you. So please, as soon as you receive the payment, go and cash it immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment.The check will be in your name to make it easier for you to receive payment, please reconfirm your details one more time.I will give you the details of the company that will be shipping the Item as soon as we seal this deal.Once the money is received by the agent ,the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately.So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check or money order to you.

(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
{4} Please accept my offer

Once you get back to me with all the above, the check or money order willbeissued out immediately and it will be sent to you .Hope to hear from you immediately.Looking forward to your swift response.i will also beoffering you extra $100 for keeping the Item for me till the shipper comes for the pick up. Thanks for your concern over my need.
Regards
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Posted my dirtbike for sale up on craigslist. And immediately I get mail from this guy asking if the the bike is for sale. I assume he meant to ask if it was still for sale. So I send him a message saying yes it is, here's the price etc. He sends me this back. Does it sound suspicious to you guys?

Pastor Richard Joe to me

Hello,
Thanks very much for your response ,The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of the item and im okay with price. Also to let you know that payment will be by certified cashier's check or money order. In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the payment as I do not want to send the check or money order to a wrong location lest they get into the wrong hands.

Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination in the U.S.A, you do not worry about shipping, the company will send down a representative to arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.

I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving an overdraft check, which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you. So please, as soon as you receive the payment, go and cash it immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment.The check will be in your name to make it easier for you to receive payment, please reconfirm your details one more time.I will give you the details of the company that will be shipping the Item as soon as we seal this deal.Once the money is received by the agent ,the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately.So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check or money order to you.

(1) Full Name

Once you get back to me with all the above, the check or money order willbeissued out immediately and it will be sent to you .Hope to hear from you immediately.Looking forward to your swift response.i will also beoffering you extra $100 for keeping the Item for me till the shipper comes for the pick up. Thanks for your concern over my need.
Regards
Definite scam - I have seen plenty of those emails here at the CU.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
A Motorgen O.G.

How do people fall for these? At least they could spell shit right and use proper grammar.

I like that it's from a pastor.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Definite scam - I have seen plenty of those emails here at the CU.
How do they get you? Full name and address and phone number alone isn't enough to do anything is it?

Didn't even notice till now the he calls it an item rather than a bike... Doy.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

You deposit check. Check takes 5 days+ to bounce because they use a routing number on the east coast. You pay money to "shipper." Shipper is dummy fraud company that keeps your money. By the time the check bounces, they have the money and it's too late.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Wow, I should copy and paste your explanation and e-mail it to them. That would be funny.

Or maybe I should send them the address of some government office that would take it upon themselves to investigate this.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Super Moderator

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS SERVICE CENTER
ATTN: MAIL FRAUD
222 S. RIVERSIDE PLAZA STE 1250
CHICAGO IL 60606-6100

I could address it like this, as if it was my shop: (Business address)

Adam McPherson
CHICAGO IL 60606-6100
Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Awesome, then go ahead and send a check or money order to my shop. Underneath my name write Attn: MF (Motorcyle Funds) so I know what it's for but don't write Motocycle Funds, just write MF. I don't want my boss to know that I'm using the shop address for personal transactions. So just add the shipping cost to the $450 in the check or MO and I'll go ahead and pay the shipping company as soon as your payment arrives in the mail and get the bike ready for delivery. Pleasure doing business with you. -Adam

Make it out like this:

Adam McPherson
Attn: MF
CHICAGO IL 60606-6100
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Awesome, then go ahead and send a check or money order to my shop. Underneath my name write Attn: MF (Motorcyle Funds) so I know what it's for but don't write Motocycle Funds, just write MF. I don't want my boss to know that I'm using the shop address for personal transactions. So just add the shipping cost to the $450 in the check or MO and I'll go ahead and pay the shipping company as soon as your payment arrives in the mail and get the bike ready for delivery. Pleasure doing business with you. -Adam

Make it out like this:

Adam McPherson
Attn: MF
CHICAGO IL 60606-6100
Nicely done. I hope something comes of it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:

Pastor Richard Joe to me

Hello,

(1) Full Name

Regards
Yeah, I've heard about plenty of scams exactly like this...I've even had somebody try something similar on me for a room for rent.