Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #51
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Cornfed - I see you're on. Any updates on the situation?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Cornfed - I see you're on. Any updates on the situation?

lol actually most of the time i just leave my screens open and leave the computer lol.

well now the car is at another shop for that second estimate.

well after they closed i went to my friends house down the street, the same friend that bought a salvaged evo from an auction and then got it fixed at that first shop i went too.

well as we where talking about solutions for my car and how to help out.

it just hit me like a ton of bricks....my friend bought his evo at an auction for 5k give or take, meaning he...or more technically his dad can buy cars from auctions!! well y not find an evo that was totaled with rear end damage for the 4-6k that shop number 1 wanted to spend on just a front clip and i would still be left with a spare evo engine and tranny and so on. and all the rest of the cash can be spent on labor....which now will bring that high ass 20k repair bill to 12-16k which is well within my cars 70% total out margin with parts left over to sell and make some cash on if needed.

fuck i dont know i didnt think of that earlier!

so monday when the shop opens im gonna pass the idea by them. and go from there.

also my insurence is pissed at me. an agent called me wanting me to release the car to the insurence company and i said no because im gonna get a 2nd estimate at another shop. and she got a big ass attitude with me and said well where not gonna clean the title or pay for anything and then i told her that i know these cars in and out and have been in the evo community for a while and know where to find bargains to help a repair shop and with confidence in my voice and not anger *i was being so cool and calm* i told her the estimate was a joke and i know it can be repaired for less. and she got mad and said "whatever do what you want but you do know to fix the car the damages have to come out to 16,xxx dollars" and i said ya im sure thats do-able and she said whatever and just hung up on me like a child.

so im glad i kinda broke her down to say it wont be repaired unless the damage estimate is lowered. she pretty much told me with that, that its repairable.

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #53

OOOHHHH shit and get this!!

apparently heritage auto collision had been turning on my car and driving it w/o any radiator fluid. thats how they have been moving it about the shop.

also im on e85 right now meaning my engine needs to warm up or else the car hates its life and acts horrible.

i also recorded them driving it out!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #54

damage cleaned up

Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 AM   #55
Super Moderator

You can run a motor for awhile without any radiator fluid. If they keep the rpms low and keep it running for less than a minute I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the rule of thumb for working on jet skiis out of the water, and those blocks are a lot smaller and heat up a lot faster than your 2L block with the transaxle attached.

As for the C from the insurance company, simple minded people always flip out when customers express their right and don't bend over and take it any way they want to give it. Get used to it. And good for you for not letting her get to you.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #56
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You can run a motor for awhile without any radiator fluid. If they keep the rpms low and keep it running for less than a minute I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the rule of thumb for working on jet skiis out of the water, and those blocks are a lot smaller and heat up a lot faster than your 2L block with the transaxle attached.

As for the C from the insurance company, simple minded people always flip out when customers express their right and don't bend over and take it any way they want to give it. Get used to it. And good for you for not letting her get to you.
I certainly wouldn't worry about even a couple minutes of putting around a parking lot. Think about real drag cars. Fire them up, get them warm, run them HARD . . . all without a radiator even being hooked up. Early on in sorting out the details for my Vette, we had an electrical problem with the fan not coming on at all. Honestly except for sitting in traffic for long periods of time, it was fine.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #57

well all thats good to hear. thanks for the info, and ya i really dont let people get to me as most of you have experienced with me im actually a pretty happy go lucky guy thats pretty helpful, and i like to be try and solve propblems from many angles not just look at one and give up. i kinda dislike that quick and dirty attribute of the insurence.

but i do understand there side of covering there own ass...if the car has anymore demonds in it after its fixed and just not dealing with the hastle, and i agree for most daily driven/ whatever cars which is a high ass percent of cars out there, that this is a good approach and very helpful on the end of the costumer *me* but in certain cases where the owner loves the car, doesnt want to let it go like that and is confident that it can be repaired for less, i think that they should be a little more understanding and explore some options with the costumer, its not like its consting them anything so far its just time and paitience. at the end im trying to save them money

Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #58
Super Moderator

So if they pay less than the total value, it's not a salvage right?

I think drag cars use some sort of gel in the block in place of radiator fluid. My barber has a 1200hp BelAir and he was talking about doing this so that he could junk his water pump.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #59

Quote:
So if they pay less than the total value, it's not a salvage right?

I think drag cars use some sort of gel in the block in place of radiator fluid. My barber has a 1200hp BelAir and he was talking about doing this so that he could junk his water pump.
the damages have to be 70% of the total value of the car.

well sense state farm mis-valued my car at a low 23k for now

70% of that is 16k-ish so ive already found an evo that is at an auction in las vegas thats silver and was totalled because it was stolen it has no seats, radio or engine/bumper/lights but it does have a dash and steering wheel/column/rack and pinion and radiator/support and hood/fender control arm. essentually everything i need to fix mine.

my friend said that he doesnt see evo's w/o engines or interiors going for more then 2 grand.

so im gonna tell the shop my car is at about helping me out and making a new estimate of my car if they had such a donor car in the same color even. and bring that to the insurence saying they can do the job for within my 70% range and all they would have to spend on parts would essentually be 2-3 grand and the rest can go to labor which should be around 4-6 grand

i really think a 12-14k estimate is well within reason if the shop will work with me. and they are a cool shop. when my dad got in an accident they really helped him out and love him. they also do perfect work!

so if they can pull this off! i would highly suggest anyone to go there, they will work with costumers.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #60
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
The Top Fuel guys are just solid blocks as far as I know, there are no water jackets. But yes, there is a gel that lower level racers can put in their "normal" engines and dump the radiator and wp altogether.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)