Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
The MAF is stock AFAIK, the mechanic said the o2 sensors seemed ok based on the scantool thing, but he said that the reading isn't standardized to a new o2 sensor, but rather what it tells him is that both o2 sensors are working at the same level...he did notice that at low RPM it runs rich though...damn i wish i knew more about this stuff, i'm tempted to take mechanic school after pharm school just for peace of mind haha but let me describe what it was then you might be able to deduce its real meaning:

So while hooked up to this scanning thing, he went into a menu that resulted in two realtime output graphs that checked the voltage output of the sensors, he said that though this wont tell you if they're good or not, they'll tell you if one is bad vs. the other one (something about the spectrum at which the sensors read is narrow so once levels are beyond a certain limit it'll just saturate the sensor and it'll read max or something) anyway, so with this thing hooked up, he revd the engine hard and quickly released and said that the peaks output by both sensors seem to be equal, indicating that they are functioning properly in relation to each other

It made sense to me at the time, i dunno why i was just smiling and nodding. My dad does all his work stuff thru this guy and he's regarded as trustworthy, he spent a lot of time trying to figure it out but basically just said, the damn thing looks fine just runs rich for some reason under 1k, once it gets going its fine (the scanner thing had another option where it tests bank 1 vs bank 2 and outputs a % which tells you something about fuel air ratio? he said its typically supposed to be +/- 5% and on bank 1 the vette was at 9% when idling, and normalized during acceleration/motion)

Damn thing has 0 codes, history, current, nothing. No misfire readings in realtime or history, but he also said that misfire detection was still new (started in like 1996 or something and my car is a 2000 so it was put together in 1999 or so i'm guessing?)

I dunno, all I've learned is I need to buy some wood and 4 jack stands because these damn cars aren't as scary as the vette shops make them out to be...if you can take it apart, it likely can be put together again, just will take time. I think I've been shy of doing bolt ons this long because i didnt want to pay those absurd labor costs (90/hr- 120/hr depending on the shop wtf is that) so maybe this summer i'll start tinkering with it myself haha

Happy new year everyone!

The C5s were somewhat notorious for being tuned on the rich side, but it sounds like you're having another issue.

You can of course do a lot of your own work, but there are quirks and gotchas. One the pops into my head is that you have to be careful abot where and how you jack up a C5 or something breaks pretty easy. I've never worked on a C5 so I can't remember what it is, just that if carelessly put the jack where it seems like a good idea and jack away, you may have undesirable results.

I'll PM ls1z28 with this thread and see what he has to say.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
Actually, Ben, is there any book out there besides the dealer service manual for the 1997-2001 vette? For the accord i used to have this 'haynes manual' and that thing basically let me take apart everything and put it together again (as much as i needed to anyway). I know theres alot of DIYs and writeups on corvetteforum and stuff, but just as an added reference. I am eventually going to tear out the interior and dynamat it at some point (if/when i do the speakers) so some kinda guide would help!

That's an interesting question. I don't know. Haynes may ave assumed that C5 owners would never wrench on their Vettes themselves or the number would be too small to warrant publishing a guide. But I don't know. Anyway, while they're expensive, I'm a fan of the original GM Factory Service manuals. The tend to come with more "tips" and procedures that aren't covered in haynes manuals.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Power's off.

If this is a 2000 vette, you need to learn how to pull up and read all the codes. These things throw codes up if your wiper washer fluid is low.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #14

This little tool that you can buy for around $10 on Ebay makes the job so much easier - it was a nightmare when I tried to change the plugs on my LS1 Fbody without it.

wires: my stock wires measured 300 Ohms, the MSD wires only 28 Ohms.... huge difference but absolutely not noticeable when driving... engine ran fie before and after, the new wired looked nicer (red)...that's about it...