Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Report: BMW says yes to 1 Series M successor, no to M6 Gran Coupe with xDrive

Filed under: Coupe, Sedan, Performance, BMW, Luxury

If you're anything like us, the first half of that headline made you smile. The BMW 1 Series M Coupe was, without a doubt, one of our favorite cars from the past few years, and according to a BMW Blog interview, Dr. Friedrich Nitschke, head of the company's M division, has confirmed that a successor is in the works.

"We haven't made a decision yet, but the 1M coupe was so successful, that in my opinion, I am absolutely sure we will build a successor," Nitschke told BMW Blog. Currently, BMW only offers the M135i version of the new 1 Series hatch in Europe, which Nitschke says is "not a pure M car."

Moving elsewhere in the M range, BMW Blog asked about the M6 Gran Coupe that recently debuted at this year's Detroit Auto Show. The obvious competitors for this car will be higher-power versions of the Porsche Panamera and Audi RS7, but while both of those offer all-wheel drive, the M6 only sends power to its rear wheels.

"We will not bring an all-wheel drive, only a rear-wheel drive," Nitschke said in the interview. The main reason is that adding AWD means additional weight has to be tacked on, and even so, the BMW executives said that the car was developed to have specific handling and steering characteristics common to a rear-wheel-drive car. "I think it's perfect the way it is," Nitschke stated.BMW says yes to 1 Series M successor, no to M6 Gran Coupe with xDrive originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...