Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Test Weight of my C3 at Smog

Is the test weight they show on the Smog form the measure weight of your car, or the reference of your vehicle type?

If so, holy crap my C3 with all aluminum engine (block and heads) aluminum cast T56 trans, and a few other weight reductions came in at 3,625lbs. I wonder if that's with the chubby feller who tested it and some of the equipment on the platform.

Time to get it weighed for real.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Is the test weight they show on the Smog form the measure weight of your car, or the reference of your vehicle type?

If so, holy crap my C3 with all aluminum engine (block and heads) aluminum cast T56 trans, and a few other weight reductions came in at 3,625lbs. I wonder if that's with the chubby feller who tested it and some of the equipment on the platform.

The test weight is the weight of the vehicle as tested. It is only taken at the drive wheels and not with all 4 wheels on the scale. On your car it would have been with just the rear wheels on the scale. . If the technician is sitting in the vehicle when on the scale it will raise the number. 3600 lbs is very high. Most cars I smog are closer to 1500 lbs average. Next time I get a C3 I will try to pay attention to the readings for comparison .
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Neanderthal

Quote:

3625 lbs------damn!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:

They have no way of testing the weight without a scale large enough for your car, and they don't. Ergo, their numbers are bullshit, probably some psuedo math with the tech in the car to guess the weight of your car.

The 82s had the lighter door crash hardware, rear ends, and vacuum setups. There is no way your car weighs 3600lbs. If the guy was in fact in the car and he was a 200lb dude, like myself, then it's possible that it weighed in at an estimated 3400lbs, which still means nothing. Your car factory I believe is below the 3400lb mark. Ditch the Iron block/ heads, steel suspension, heavy power steering cylinder/ pump/ CV and there is no way in hell you tip the scale at over 3400lbs.

My Neon weighs in at 2500lbs, I remember the smog paperwork claiming that it was deep into the 3000s.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
They have no way of testing the weight without a scale large enough for your car, and they don't. Ergo, their numbers are bullshit, probably some psuedo math with the tech in the car to guess the weight of your car.

The 82s had the lighter door crash hardware, rear ends, and vacuum setups. There is no way your car weighs 3600lbs. If the guy was in fact in the car and he was a 200lb dude, like myself, then it's possible that it weighed in at an estimated 3400lbs, which still means nothing. Your car factory I believe is below the 3400lb mark. Ditch the Iron block/ heads, steel suspension, heavy power steering cylinder/ pump/ CV and there is no way in hell you tip the scale at over 3400lbs.

My Neon weighs in at 2500lbs, I remember the smog paperwork claiming that it was deep into the 3000s.

That's what I was thinking. I think the ship weight (or whatever it was called) of my C3 was like 3,250. I think it's like the dry weight. So with 22 gals of gas, and 6 quarts of oil that's 3,450 lbs I guess.

The engine alone is 100lbs less and I've done way more than that. I was kind of expecting a curb weight < 3,300lbs.

I'll need to get it weighed for real.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
I am a smog test tech, and before the vehicle is run, the machine weighs the drive axles. Front wheels for front wheel drive and rear wheels for rear wheel drive. When I weigh a car it shows me the weight of the drive axles on the machine. Most times between 1200-1800 lbs
I have not looked at the test weight readings on the printout to see if they are the same. I just never cared, but now I will look at that this weekend when I am smogging cars. It is a State program,they probably are using the same math they use to balance the budget.
The tech is most likely going to be in the car when weighed since he will be in it when tested.....O.K....We are just lazy bastards and do not want to get up if we don't have to.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
I am a smog test tech, and before the vehicle is run, the machine weighs the drive axles. Front wheels for front wheel drive and rear wheels for rear wheel drive. When I weigh a car it shows me the weight of the drive axles on the machine. Most times between 1200-1800 lbs
I have not looked at the test weight readings on the printout to see if they are the same. I just never cared, but now I will look at that this weekend when I am smogging cars. It is a State program,they probably are using the same math they use to balance the budget.
The tech is most likely going to be in the car when weighed since he will be in it when tested.....O.K....We are just lazy bastards and do not want to get up if we don't have to.
Leaning one side of something on a scale while the other side is on the ground is not an accurate measurement.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I think the ship weight (or whatever it was called) of my C3 was like 3,250. I think it's like the dry weight. So with 22 gals of gas, and 6 quarts of oil that's 3,450 lbs I guess.

The engine alone is 100lbs less and I've done way more than that. I was kind of expecting a curb weight < 3,300lbs.

I'll need to get it weighed for real.
3450 lbs of bullsh*t measurement, yeah. 3450lbs in real life? No. I just checked out an ooold smog sheet for the Vette. Curb weight: 4000lbs. That must be one heavy ass iron diff. I should swap it out for the batwing, I'll probably save 600lbs!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
. . . It is a State program,they probably are using the same math they use to balance the budget.
Must be "new" math. BTW, the bastards are trying to pull a fast one right now by calling an increase in Sales Tax, Income Tax, Gasoline Tax and Business Tax . . . fees, in order to bypass a constitutional requirement of a super majority to pass a tax increase. Just what Californians need right now, an increased cost of living.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Leaning one side of something on a scale while the other side is on the ground is not an accurate measurement.

Agreed !!! I am going to see if I can find any info on how they come up with the numbers .