Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Buy Chevrolet products if you care about your country.

Now that Chevrolet has announced its intent to pay back the government, buying a Chevrolet product actually works towards paying off the national debt. If you really care about your country, you'll buy Chevrolet.

Disclaimer: My sole intent here is to piss off Ben.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
. . . Disclaimer: My sole intent here is to piss off Ben.
Mission accomplished.

1 - It's just a return of funds to the Treasury. The government is incapable of forming a budget and paying off any debt. The concept is beyond them.

2 - The government STILL holds 61% of GM and I don't know what portion of the UAW's stake was paid for by taxpayers.

HOWEVER, now that GM has announced it's intention to return loaned monies (I guess all my flaming email and forum thrashing paid off ), all that needs to happen now for me to be happy is for the Gubment (and UAW equity paid for with public funds) to be sold and the revenue returned to the Treasury. Heck, I'm such an easy going guy all I need is a statement of intent with a little proof. At that point I'll be delighted to buy another GM product.

But as a company, no question, I regard Ford in higher esteem. That's the US closer to its best and GM closer to its worst (as a business structure, engineering is awesome).

Who knows, maybe I'll just skip on by to a ZR1 in a few years.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm so isolated this was hilarious to me. As joedls says, no one kicks the pig that doesn't squeal.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I'm so isolated this was hilarious to me. As joedls says, no one kicks the pig that doesn't squeal.
I hate you and your silly face.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

But as a company, no question, I regard Ford in higher esteem. That's the US closer to its best and GM closer to its worst (as a business structure, engineering is awesome).
BECAUSE, Ford, unlike MOST US corporations has a genuine family stake. Most US corporations are a mindless get rich quick entity LIKE GM. It's all about immediate profits for stock holders, NOT the FUTURE, like Ford THINKS about.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
BECAUSE, Ford, unlike MOST US corporations has a genuine family stake. Most US corporations are a mindless get rich quick entity LIKE GM. It's all about immediate profits for stock holders, NOT the FUTURE, like Ford THINKS about.
Ford Pinto "It's cheaper to let them burn." Well, they were certainliy thinking about the future...
Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Neanderthal

Quote:
Ford Pinto "It's cheaper to let them burn." Well, they were certainliy thinking about the future...
How old were you in the 70s??

For years after the Vega was out, you'd see them along the side of the road with blown engines. This went on for years and years---not to mention that you could watch the Vega rust away before your eyes in your driveway

2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
---not to mention that you could watch the Vega rust away before your eyes in your driveway

BAHAHAHA!!! I fell out of my seat!!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

For years after the Vega was out, you'd see them along the side of the road with blown engines. This went on for years and years---not to mention that you could watch the Vega rust away before your eyes in your driveway

I don't think he was referring to quality, but a case (though I thought it was about one of their trucks) when the discovered a design flaw that would lead the vehicle in some accidents to burst into flames AND impinge the doors so they couldn't open. Their legal department ran actuarials and decided it would be cheaper to pay out claims to families than redesign the product. That's just evil.

I'd also say GM's problems were not of the "get rich quick" variety like Enron, World Com, et. al., but the buildup of legacy issues over a long time causing massive fixed costs and a very slow moving insular corporate culture.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:

Ever heard of World War II? Yeah? Well how old were you in the 40s?

You think you topped Ford knowingly putting out a vehicle that was prone to combustion in a low speed wreck with a story about a rusty Chevy? Really?