Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Would you participate?
Yes - I would download and install the software 2 40.00%
No - FU Hippie 1 20.00%
Maybe - I'm pretty lazy, but if the mood strikes me. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Motorgen Group for BOINC Project?

If I setup a Motorgen group for BOINC projects would you participate?

It doesn't cost anything, you'd just have to install a small piece of software. When you aren't doing something on your computer (in reality, the vast majority of the time as far as the processor is concerned), your computer will download, process and return very small data units that will then be combined with (in some cases) millions of other users. It's called distributed computing and it's a very powerful tool. Basically it can give super computer horsepower to people who couldn't get time on real super computers.

Here's the current list of projects.

The following Projects have a Motorgen.com Team. If you are attached to the project (through the BOINC software), you can join the team. Just click on the link:
Seti@Home Looking for signs of intelligence in signals from outer space
SIMAP Creating a public database of protein similarities used in bioinformatics (lots of useful medical applications)

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Last edited by Vettezuki : 05-08-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Ttt

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #3

Thanks for raising/creating awareness. I've known about some of these projects for a while but never gotten around to participating.

I jumped the gun a little and signed up with malariacontrol.net this morning. Things like SETI or attemping to solve obscure math problems are valid and worthwile uses but I'm a "simple things first" kind of thinker. I was quite suprised but very impressed when Gates and Buffet focused on malaria as a target for the Gates foundation. On a bang for the buck level more lives can be improved (or saved outright) by focusing on widespread problems that can be dealt with effectively using low-tech low cost/case methods. Again, no issue with more esoteric areas of research, just my personal bias.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteichen View Post
Thanks for raising/creating awareness. I've known about some of these projects for a while but never gotten around to participating.

I jumped the gun a little and signed up with malariacontrol.net this morning. Things like SETI or attemping to solve obscure math problems are valid and worthwile uses but I'm a "simple things first" kind of thinker. I was quite suprised but very impressed when Gates and Buffet focused on malaria as a target for the Gates foundation. On a bang for the buck level more lives can be improved (or saved outright) by focusing on widespread problems that can be dealt with effectively using low-tech low cost/case methods. Again, no issue with more esoteric areas of research, just my personal bias.

Mmm, I've tried to attach to malariacontrol, but they aren't accepting anymore. You must have got in right before the close.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Malariacontrol still not taking new accounts, but I added a team for Seti, see above. In your BOINC manager you can set many projects as fall backs if your preferred projects aren't processing.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Default Cuda

Note, if you're running Seti@Home on a PC (or Linux) with a recent Nvidia card, the algorithms can take advantage of the highly advanced GPU. See here.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Added a team for SIMAP.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)