Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
A Motorgen O.G.

Default Absinthe - I tried it... read all about it.

For those of you who don't know what Absinthe is, it's an alcohol that was banned in the U.S. until recently (March '07). There are now three brands available in the U.S. (check BevMo!) It is supposed to cause mild hallucinations and a different kind of inebriation than normal alcohol.

I spent the last week in Mexico and my uncle who was much a part of the 60's was intrigued by this when we saw it in a liquor store. They had several bottles and we elected for the mid-upper priced bottle from Czech. I can't find it online or I'd link to it. It was 110 proof and a bright teal (think mouthwash colored).

First, let me say that there are many ways to drink it, but most included mixing water and sugar in some sort of way and then slow sipping on the drink. It is supposed to be slowly drank so that the effects of alcohol don't overcome the wormwood (what makes you trip balls).

Yeah, we didn't do it that way. We just drank it straight which sucked balls. I have had 151, Wild Turkey and various other harder than usual drinks and holy shit was this the worst. It burned like nothing I've drank before and had a horrible taste.

So what did we do? Drink more of course. Duh. I weigh 135 lbs. and by no means drink heavily. So after what measured out to about 5 shots of this stuff.. my world was fucked up.

Here's where you find out if it worked at all. No, it didn't. At least not for me. I didn't see a Green Fairy, nor did I feel any other different drunkness. I just felt... drunk. Chalk it up to how we drank it or the brand that we bought (proponents of Absinthe claim you have to have "the good stuff"). Personally, I thought we picked out a legit bottle but I'm by no means an expert.

No one else that drank it felt anything different either.

I did end up praying to the porcelain God that night after a few more shots of Bacardi.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Once, on a kind of bet I took a shot of Everclear . . . straight. That's right, 198 proof. It actually scorched my throat. I don't recommend it unless you're a real masochist, or retarded as was my case at the time.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Once, on a kind of bet I took a shot of Everclear . . . straight. That's right, 198 proof. It actually scorched my throat. I don't recommend it unless you're a real masochist, or retarded as was my case at the time.
After you choke that down, you can take anything with ease.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

I got a bottle of absenthe when I was in barcelona this last July. It's didn't fuck me up more than any regular booze. Check the label because they rate the mg/L wormwood content. Your right though, it's the shittiest tasting beverage i've ever had. It's tasted like black liquorish mixed with ass. If you want to try something really crazy I have a bottle of this stuff called habu Saki. I got it in Japan. They take a Live pissed off Habu snake (think poisonous) put in in a bottle, then drown it in Saki. The achohol will break down the venom and when it turns a certain color (brown) it's safe to drink.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
. . . If you want to try something really crazy I have a bottle of this stuff called habu Saki. I got it in Japan. They take a Live pissed off Habu snake (think poisonous) put in in a bottle, then drown it in Saki. The achohol will break down the venom and when it turns a certain color (brown) it's safe to drink.
It's common in Okinawa and they think it's good for your health.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Internet Tough Guy

That's funny! That's the exact same bottle that I got. There is no way that shit is good for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
That's funny! That's the exact same bottle that I got. There is no way that shit is good for you.

It's the good stuff made by grandma out behind the shed. The Japanese love potentially dangerous foods. The highest level of Fugu (blowfish) is where the chef leaves just the tiniest portion of the neurotoxin on the Sashimi (raw fish) to give you a kind of high. There is no antidote. Too much and your respiratory system shuts down. Now that's what I call fine dining.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I can't believe what some people will put in their body. Neutralized snake venom? Really? My friends were eating chicken feet today, packed in sauce from China. They ingest some gross stuff over there.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I can't believe what some people will put in their body. Neutralized snake venom? Really? My friends were eating chicken feet today, packed in sauce from China. They ingest some gross stuff over there.

You need to expand your cultural horizons cracker.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm cool, have fun with your chicken feet.