Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Clutch Problem with V6 w/ 5 Speed Manual Ford Ranger

Posting this for my Bro's friend. He'll be on later.

You have to put the clutch pedal ALL the way down AND use quite a bit of force to get it in gear. What kind of clutch setup did these Ranger's (98-00?) have? What's likely the problem?

MY GUESS
I once had this problem with the Jeep and it was the clutch MC. Basically, the clutch simply wasn't disengaging.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

I'm not sure because my Ranger had an auto as does my Explorer. I would think that if the peddle was hard to push then it would be the MC but if the peddle feel is normal it would point to a worn clutch. That is assuming that his truck has a clutch MC and not an adjustable cable.

How long has it been happening? Also, does his truck have to 3.0 or 4.0 V6?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Progeny of the Great Apocolypse

Default Yo this is my friends truck

So it's a 3.0 V-6 with a five speed manual. The clutch pedal seams to be fine but it my be a little loose. The major issue is that it is remarkably difficult to put in gear. My roommate tells me that it has only been this way for a couple days and may be getting worse. The clutch was changed some 15000 miles ago so it should be fine. Thanks for any help dudes.

A-
Old 12-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
MY GUESS
I once had this problem with the Jeep and it was the clutch MC. Basically, the clutch simply wasn't disengaging.

Have him bleed the MC, use high quality brake fluid. I like the DOT 4 Mercedes stuff.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Graphics B*tch

I am not sure if you have the same set-up as the 93-98 rangers do but here goes a very easy fix if it is. I had a '94 manual and here is what I ran into which as it turns out is a common problem with the manual trans of the time. There are rubber plugs in that tranny and over time the crack and shrink. The trans fluid was getting syphoned out while I drove ever so slightly and as a result I was low. I had the same problem you seem to be having and the fix was new plugs (they have billet ones which is best (relatively cheap), or cheaper rubber replacements (OEM style)) and that plus new fluid = a fix. Check to see if the botom for your ranger is coated in tranny fluid. Try the http://therangerstation.com/ for more info. This is a great resource for the rangers. I would reccomment the billet plugs, noit sure where to get them. GOOGLE them!! Let me know if you need more help. Loved my ranger!!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I am not sure if you have the same set-up as the 93-98 rangers do but here goes a very easy fix if it is. I had a '94 manual and here is what I ran into which as it turns out is a common problem with the manual trans of the time. There are rubber plugs in that tranny and over time the crack and shrink. The trans fluid was getting syphoned out while I drove ever so slightly and as a result I was low. I had the same problem you seem to be having and the fix was new plugs (they have billet ones which is best (relatively cheap), or cheaper rubber replacements (OEM style)) and that plus new fluid = a fix. Check to see if the botom for your ranger is coated in tranny fluid. Try the http://therangerstation.com/ for more info. This is a great resource for the rangers. I would reccomment the billet plugs, noit sure where to get them. GOOGLE them!! Let me know if you need more help. Loved my ranger!!
We'll check. I was wondering about fluid level too. Good point.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)