Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Boat Discussion

Who was it in here that was a boat Guru? Was it Guy??

Anyways I sold my boat... and Im not ready to buy a new one but I was hoping to learn more and buy something thats a better fit this time.

For those of you that dont know, jet boats are not built for top speed, theyre built to be nimble. You can go 50 mph and whip the wheel and the boat will just grab and change direction without a complait. But the downside to a jet is the 50 mph top speed and having to listen to the motor operate under full load while youre cruising that fast.

So I guess Im asking for education on boat drives. I want something that can be hooked to a car engine, but can cruise at 60 mph without needing WOT. I want something inexpensive and low profile like a jet boat, but thats more efficient with its requirements for power to maintain speed. It was just too much damn noise all the time.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Ain't 60mph kinda fast in water? What are the options other jet and prop? (At the cheap level, nevermind hydrofoil, etc. )

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

V Drive, stern drive, surface drive, out board...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Looks like direct drive is the best, but v drives are a close second and more readily available.

And 60 isnt fast anywhere
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Just get any boat with a standard bravo outdrive and you'll be fine. Many boat will do 60mph with a stock sbc and an out drive. V-drives and direct drive are cool but you cant adjust the prop height, which means one time you forget or dont know somethings under it not only will you fuck up the prop but it will likely rip a portion of the boat off.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Super Moderator

An inboard-outboard? Is that what its called? I saw a drive that designated 1 speed, does that mean some drives have 2 or more speeds?? I like the sound of that.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Yes, an inboard-outboard is what you want. Some drives do have more then one speed,, but you're talking alpha and xj drives which cost 10k+ on their own.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Ain't 60mph kinda fast in water? What are the options other jet and prop? (At the cheap level, nevermind hydrofoil, etc. )
No

Stopping the world!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hey Guy, how practical would it be to buy something like this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/3023548842.html
and drop in a FI V8?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I love the idea of something compact and roomy like that, with the engine tucked away, but I want to be able to cruise at 70 or 80