Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
A Motorgen O.G.

Default How hard is it to tint windows?

I really want my windows tinted because it sucks driving through the grapevine twice a week and having dumbasses behind me with their brights on. It kills my eyes. Not to mention the summer is coming up and it would be nice.

Has anyone done it before? Chaten you have right? Was it simple? I really don't to drop $200-300 if I can do a quality job myself.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
I really want my windows tinted because it sucks driving through the grapevine twice a week and having dumbasses behind me with their brights on. It kills my eyes. Not to mention the summer is coming up and it would be nice.

Has anyone done it before? Chatem you have right? Was it simple? I really don't to drop $200-300 if I can do a quality job myself.
I don't know how hard it is, but this probably isn't the kind of job I'd do by myself. I think I'd just shop around for the cheapest shop I could find and have it done. When I did the Camaro, it was only $160, and that was for the two front windows and the HUGE back hatch. If you only wanted the back tinted I'd bet it would be pretty cheap.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Chate

Yo, yeah i've dont it twice, on the old chetanmobile and the accord, its not hard, but it takes alot of patience and the more time you take on it the better it'll turn out. The film comes in different ratings, and if your back window is curved at all it'll be a bitch to do (basically the film is square and wont lay flat on a rounded window) so it was harder to do on the accord. Some places on ebay sell pre-cut film kits so you might wanna check them out too so you dont have to cut (thats the hardest part to get right).

The install process basically involves cleaning the window with soap water (no windex etc), then spraying the solution all over the interior glass. You take of the clear film backing from the tint and lay the adhesive side onto the wet glass, align it, and squeegy out the bubbles with a credit card or squeegie tool. Thats pretty much it, then wait for it to dry. To do it perfect you can losen door panels to get the tint deep into the window, if you just slide it in it'll bubble up after a few months because there will still be air pockets at the lower part of the tint.

Long story short, if you dont need it to be show quality, and you have a day to devote to it (and a buddy to help you do it in an enclosed area so theres no wind and dust flying around) just do it yourself, they sell the supplies at wal-mart haha. If you want somethign REALLY simple, they sell static-cling tint sheets too!! I've seen these on a car and they get the job done pretty well so for your case something like this may be sufficient. Gluck!