Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default Tire Question For BADDASSC6

Carlos, have you ever used either the NITTO NT01 or the Toyo R888 or know anyone who has? Do you know how good either of these tire are? I'm looking at both of these and want some input if possible.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Internet Tough Guy

No and yes.

NT-01: I haven't run this tire because it's not produced in a 19" size. It is definately a good tire that has won SCCA and Nasa National championships. That's all I know.

Toyo R-888: I'm currently running these on the vette. Great grip and decent wear characteristics. Be carefull with you alignment. R compound tires are alot more sensative. Get a tire pyrometer. This is the most common tire used during most open track event. Porsche club of america used this tire for thier spec classes. This is the replacement for the old Toyo RA-1. It has a stiffer sidewall than the old RA-1. It's a great feature for heavier cars (i.e mustangs/ vettes), but the Miata/Boxer guys bitch. The R888s are sold at most tracks (price is gauged) and TD4L sells them cheap and some local vendors can score you a deal.

I also ran the Michelline Pilot Sport Cups and will not be running htem again.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
No and yes.

NT-01: I haven't run this tire because it's not produced in a 19" size. It is definately a good tire that has won SCCA and Nasa National championships. That's all I know.

Toyo R-888: I'm currently running these on the vette. Great grip and decent wear characteristics. Be carefull with you alignment. R compound tires are alot more sensative. Get a tire pyrometer. This is the most common tire used during most open track event. Porsche club of america used this tire for thier spec classes. This is the replacement for the old Toyo RA-1. It has a stiffer sidewall than the old RA-1. It's a great feature for heavier cars (i.e mustangs/ vettes), but the Miata/Boxer guys bitch. The R888s are sold at most tracks (price is gauged) and TD4L sells them cheap and some local vendors can score you a deal.

I also ran the Michelline Pilot Sport Cups and will not be running htem again.
Carlos, I'm just curious but what didn't you like about the Pilot Sports?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

The cost and wear of the CUPs far exceeded any performance benefit compared to other competition tires.

Also, even though they are OEM on many exotics; I felt I was slower in the sport cups.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Thanks Carlos. That's exactly what I wanted to hear that either tire would be good.

Now another question. Do you have any pointeer for Buttonwillow? I will be running there and would like any advice you could give me since I know you run that track a lot.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Thanks Carlos. That's exactly what I wanted to hear that either tire would be good.

Now another question. Do you have any pointeer for Buttonwillow? I will be running there and would like any advice you could give me since I know you run that track a lot.
I think I have a quite a bit of video of Carlos running Buttonwillow. I only put up the bit with the Ferrari. I can render a couple laps with a window burn for time and Carlos can use that as reference for indicating what's where.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I think I have a quite a bit of video of Carlos running Buttonwillow. I only put up the bit with the Ferrari. I can render a couple laps with a window burn for time and Carlos can use that as reference for indicating what's where.
That would be great. I may also be able to get up there and run before the actual event. My brother did work on a guys car who manages the track and they were tlaking about my car. He told Phil to bring me and the car up and he would let us run the track for a day for free. Once the car is ready Phil's going to hit him up.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Internet Tough Guy

Post some laps and I'll put some notes. Also go to NASAproracing.com they have a forum for American Iron and american Iron extreme. I would search thier for some alignment settings. Bleed you brake fluid and slap some new pads on it. If you can spare the coin get some HP plus pads and some motul or ATE racing dot 3 fluid. THis is important because if your brakes start to fade then you will not have consistant braking points and you will not be able to run constant laps.

Next I would call whoever you are running with and find out what trrack configuration will be run. Buttonwillow has at least 13. They really only run four of them for street cars and they are clockwise or counterclockwise with or without the "star mazda" corner.

Regardless of the configuration I promise thier are videos on the net for you to watch. Thier are also track maps that talk you through the line available. Just remember RWD FWD or AWD all have different lines.

When you are at the track take the first session slow and concentrate on finding markers or fixed objects to mark your braking and turn-in points. There are plenty to choose from.

Buttonwillow is the tightest and most techinical track in Socal (Streets of willow was originally designed for superbikes and only gay ricers and gay-er drifters run it). So be patient and build speed over the course of the day.

When you familiarize yourself with the layout of the track call me and I will talk you through a lap corner by corner.

After your sessions park the car in gear with the E-Brake OFF( if they are on the rotors will cool unevenly and worp). Immediately check you tire pressure. Toyos and the Nittos like to run in the high 30's or low 40's. I would start them at 39 and play with them. They have wear indictors on the side that will indicate if you need nore or less pressure.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Post some laps and I'll put some notes. Also go to NASAproracing.com they have a forum for American Iron and american Iron extreme. I would search thier for some alignment settings. Bleed you brake fluid and slap some new pads on it. If you can spare the coin get some HP plus pads and some motul or ATE racing dot 3 fluid. THis is important because if your brakes start to fade then you will not have consistant braking points and you will not be able to run constant laps.

Next I would call whoever you are running with and find out what trrack configuration will be run. Buttonwillow has at least 13. They really only run four of them for street cars and they are clockwise or counterclockwise with or without the "star mazda" corner.

Regardless of the configuration I promise thier are videos on the net for you to watch. Thier are also track maps that talk you through the line available. Just remember RWD FWD or AWD all have different lines.

When you are at the track take the first session slow and concentrate on finding markers or fixed objects to mark your braking and turn-in points. There are plenty to choose from.

Buttonwillow is the tightest and most techinical track in Socal (Streets of willow was originally designed for superbikes and only gay ricers and gay-er drifters run it). So be patient and build speed over the course of the day.

When you familiarize yourself with the layout of the track call me and I will talk you through a lap corner by corner.

After your sessions park the car in gear with the E-Brake OFF( if they are on the rotors will cool unevenly and worp). Immediately check you tire pressure. Toyos and the Nittos like to run in the high 30's or low 40's. I would start them at 39 and play with them. They have wear indictors on the side that will indicate if you need nore or less pressure.

I'm already running Spectro Golden Supreme DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid. It has a dry BP of 520°F and wet BP of 367°F. I added this when I ran at the big track at Willow Springs because I boiled the DOT 3 brake fluid in my second session. I’m also running Hawk HPS pads in the front and rear and didn’t have any issues with them fading.

I'm not sure I'll be able to find out what track confirgation it's going to be before the competition so if you can just give me some info on the videos Ben posts it would help. I just want to know things like where the Start/Finish is and what gear you were in during the corner. Also, what gear do you have in the rearend? On the day of the competition there will only be a 20 practice session and then the competition will be another 20 minute session where my fastest lap will be counted. I just want to be prepared.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Internet Tough Guy

Hey do you at least know what direction theyare running? The track if completely different clockwise versus counter.