Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Default Tick tick tick ...lifter changin time

Pretty sure ive dropped a lifter in the vette. First noticed a fairly quiet ticking noise yesterday, and on a cold start this morning heard it again, a bit louder, and with a metallic click. Now that ive heard it a bit more closely im fairly certain ive got a lifter thats decided to go south on me, possibly spun in its bore (being rollers, thats no good ) or maybe lost the needle bearing on the rocker or some such.

Teardown to start this weekend after a few more tests, hopefully with pics to go with it. If its a lifter...it may be time for a cam
Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Is there enough room down the pushrod side of the head to stick a magnet in there and pull the lifter out?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

LG cam time !
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

From what i gather the magnet trick is a no-go. Everything im reading says head has to come off to pull lifters on an LS motor. No biggie, hopefully its just the bearing in the rocker or something, starting the teardown today, hopefully up and running by sunday for GMR
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

You should call speed warehouse in tustin. They might have cams in stock for your car, you know, while you're in there and all.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
You should call speed warehouse in tustin. They might have cams in stock for your car, you know, while you're in there and all.
No joke man. All that work just to change a lifter?!?!?! I say if you got the cash change something while you're in there lol
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

you know what they say. Breaking shit is what gives a reason to make something better

Stopping the world!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Crisis averted. Lost the bearing in one of the rocker arms. Got to it before any further damage, 's all good.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Glad to hear it was nothing major. Are you coming on Angeles Crest? Jerry's car should be running by then too
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

ill be there. hopefully with a couple of things done. Getting the itch to mod again. I put it off as long as i could