Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Default Sacrificing my car for YOU!!!

I have been trying to work my tune for the past 2 seasons, and I am getting really sick of it.

I have been working with people in the industry and have found what I think is a GREAT ECU solution for those of us with older distributor based ignitions.

This system does not support coil on plug, and some of the fancy features of some of the more expensive systems or cam sensors and such.

It sells for under $2000 Complete, including a wide band O2, software, and wiring harness.

It only has 5 pages for tuning, making it extremely simplified.

The system has 4 injector drivers so it fires 2 at a time, better than the GM batch fire.

Many of the people using the Motorvation system have been in drag racing. I'm going to find out how this adapts to the street. Musi, who just ran a 5.6 1/4 mile, setting a new record, is using a similar system (same manufacture different interface) and many 2000+ HP guys are using it.

I'll take pictures and do some filming so you guys can see if this is a good solution to go from carb to injection that doesn't cost $3000-4000.

Should be here by the end of next week, and hopefully can start the installation shortly after that. We'll see how it lives up.

So I'm sacrificing to be the Guinea pig here.....see how it goes. Cutting out the old stuff, to put in the new!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Can you let us know what the old setup is first and what it dyno's as well as the current fuel millage, idle, vacuum, etc. I want to know what kind of difference you see going from a carb to FI. Also, what all will you be replacing besides the carb? Are you just drilling the current intake to add injectors and then run a TB? Is the new system MAF or speed density?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

I'm curious too. Do they have TB type setups?

Ron,
I'm wondering if it couldn't be adapted for RX-Snake.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

Ron,
I'm sure it could but I'm not sure if it's worth the expense. Tuning a draw through carb on a roots is not difficult. I was wondering more for something like Adam's Cambria setup. I'd like to do something like that with the next 454 in the Chevelle and think it would make tuning it easier. Since I would have to modify the carb for a blow through system anyways I figured it would be another option.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Can you let us know what the old setup is first and what it dyno's as well as the current fuel millage, idle, vacuum, etc. I want to know what kind of difference you see going from a carb to FI. Also, what all will you be replacing besides the carb? Are you just drilling the current intake to add injectors and then run a TB? Is the new system MAF or speed density?
I am going from the stock 1990 Corvette ECU to the hybrid ECU (stock plus Motorvation) that I plan to install next week. This is a FI to FI conversion from stock ECU to after market.

We do add bungs to existing intakes, and provide custom fuel rails, which would work with this ECU, but that is not my application.

I am going to leave the stock ECU in tact to run the Air Conditioning, speedo, Converter lockup and some other BCM type functionality.

This is a MAP 1 bar setup.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:

Ron,
Yes. The reason I am doing this system is because the guys with distributor powered cars ( not coil pack) do not have a good choice on the market today. There's too many bells and whistles in many systems and you're paying for that if you use it or not.

This is a proven system in the racing world and I'm going ot see how it translates into a street car. It's fairly inexpensive compared to the alternatives and only 5 pages of tuning.

Should be about a week or two and I'll have it all set up. I'm going to do my MSD ignition first, then the ECU. One step at a time.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:
I'm sure it could but I'm not sure if it's worth the expense. Tuning a draw through carb on a roots is not difficult. I was wondering more for something like Adam's Cambria setup. I'd like to do something like that with the next 454 in the Chevelle and think it would make tuning it easier. Since I would have to modify the carb for a blow through system anyways I figured it would be another option.
That's why I'm going through this. At IP I don't want to sell anything until I have had the opportunity to be intimate with it. Not sure where you are at, but if you're anywhere near NYC you're free to come down and check it out as I install it.

This uses all the GM stock sensors and the wiring harness is a work of art.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:

Ron,
Yes, we do full billet TBs as well as cast. I'll be adding about 1500 parts to our site next week, including custom chips and tuning.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

What's the advantage of this over just having a chip tuned for the stock ECU? Is it just that it allows you to continually tune it? Take my Cobra for an example. It's a '94 5.0 with a S-trim Vortech. I paid $120 for a chip that has two programs, one for pump gas and one for race fuel. What would be the advantage of paying $2000 for an aftermarket ECU?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:
What's the advantage of this over just having a chip tuned for the stock ECU? Is it just that it allows you to continually tune it? Take my Cobra for an example. It's a '94 5.0 with a S-trim Vortech. I paid $120 for a chip that has two programs, one for pump gas and one for race fuel. What would be the advantage of paying $2000 for an aftermarket ECU?
First of all simplicity. Second, flexibility, thrid......

Third is I have a 427 SBC with a 242/246 HR cam and the stock computer just can not be tuned to support this build. It never will.

The other thing is NO ONE is tuning these old ECUs. It's all mail order and mail order can only get you so close.

The other advantage is that if you're starting from scratch, and using a distributor the alternatives are very expensive. Big Stuff can run $3K easy and the nuance it has is not needed for a distributor car.

This also works in conjunction with MSD so you can tie together the ignition and the ECU.

This would be a substitute for FAST, a less expensive easier to tune one.

Ironically, the FORD computers seem to be much less of a hassle than the GMs.

Also, the new LS ECUs are really some of the best ECUs on the market right now. There are markets this doesn't fit, however for those doing an older style build, SBC, SBF, etc.....with a distributor, and many still are, I think this would be a good solution.