Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default How to spot a steroids user.

Other than backne and baldness?

This bodybuilder I know, (who I know for a fact uses steroids) approached me while I was about to bench my regular rep weight. He told me I needed to warm up before doing that much weight or I will tear something. My reply, its not my heavy weight its what I do for rep (9-10 reps). His reply, of wow thats my heavy weight (5-6 reps).

Other than making me feel good about myself, what did this prove? Roids users havent earned the muscle they have, they grow mass from their hormones just doing the dishes.

Then last night I saw this 16 year old high-school student who looked like Jean Claude Van Damme, benching 60 lb barbells (not high reps). Coincidence? Doubt it. At that age you dont have enough hormones naturally to get that big, let alone to do so with no body fat.

Discuss.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Well, testosterone peaks in the mid-late teens, stays roughly there to mid-late twenties and begins to decline thereafter. As for strength, it probably has to do with what kinds of excercises they're doing as well as the roids. The intent of those guys is size and definition, not strength per se, so they optimize routines for that purpose. Power lifters, going just for crazy strength exercise completely differently, wrestlers (like collegiate, not WWF) have completely different routines, etc.

Also, note that while speed an agility falls off from the 20s, but maximum strength, if cultivated and maintained can peak much later in the 30s or even 40s. Likewise with endurance, the best triathletes, etc., are often in their 30s.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Internet Tough Guy

There are a bunch of different roids some make you big other make you strong. Anytime I see something that doesn't fit. I assume its roids. I saw a group of young college guys all maxing out in the 400+ range all of them were < 215 all on roids. It's very popular for guys that use a lot of cocaine since it keeps you from losing all the weight.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Well, testosterone peaks in the mid-late teens, stays roughly there to mid-late twenties and begins to decline thereafter. As for strength, it probably has to do with what kinds of excercises they're doing as well as the roids. The intent of those guys is size and definition, not strength per se, so they optimize routines for that purpose. Power lifters, going just for crazy strength exercise completely differently, wrestlers (like collegiate, not WWF) have completely different routines, etc.

Also, note that while speed an agility falls off from the 20s, but maximum strength, if cultivated and maintained can peak much later in the 30s or even 40s. Likewise with endurance, the best triathletes, etc., are often in their 30s.
This. Power lifters look like couch potatoes for the most part. The exercises i'm doing now to get the physique I want are completely different then the exercises I did in the past when all I cared about was fighting.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
There are a bunch of different roids some make you big other make you strong. Anytime I see something that doesn't fit. I assume its roids. I saw a group of young college guys all maxing out in the 400+ range all of them were < 215 all on roids. It's very popular for guys that use a lot of cocaine since it keeps you from losing all the weight.

That's interesting. Wonder what the different biological actions are.

<< It's very popular for guys that use a lot of cocaine since it keeps you from losing all the weight.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Ben, yes, hypertrophy (lifting for size) (or bodybuilding as opposed to weight lifting). But thats what Im doing too. I havent done weight lifting (or strength training) since I was 24 really.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

'Gaining strength is incidental in bodybuilding.' -Arnold

So, why when we're both lifting for size, am I so much smaller but stronger? His muscle is a consequence of growth hormone, mine is only a physical reaction to exercise. He hasnt trained himself to handle the weight yet.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

As for strength at least, additionally people's muscles are composed differently (strands per bundle) and fiber types, even leverage because of skeletal geometry plays into how/why some can lift what they can. I used to know this stuff much better, but it's sort of vague to me now.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Super Moderator

My PT ex told me there were two ways muscles gain strength, one: building more strands, and two: building more connections per strand. The latter doesnt show an increase in size.

Anyone who was plannig to identify with the latter has self-esteem issues. Haha
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Bio mechanics plays a huge roll in it, length of motion, etc. Workout type is a big part too. I.E. gymnasts and people who stretch a ton and work the muscle when it's not completely contracted. Builds a denser, longer muscle that doesn't have the normal physical attributes from regular use. However still ridiculously strong, but capable of different things.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!