Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Will resin stick to steel?

I've been thinking about these panels that glue on to the door of my brothers car (the ones at the bottom, that bring the bottom of the door out to be flush with the added thickness of the side skirt). After my brother has the car for awhile and is ready to tear into it, I'd like to mold the body kit in and in the process, replace these door add-on panels with fiberglass. And make them part of the door. So how would I go about doing this?

It seems easy enough to get the bottom of the door down to bare metal, drape the matte over it, and start brushing on the resin. Then after some layers and some shaping I could use filler and block sand to perfection. But would this work? How well does resin stick to bare metal? Is there a better way to do it without welding?

And would this be a job for epoxy resin or polyester resin?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

So the problem is bonding fiberglass to steal, right? I don't remember the name of it, but Corvette bodies of yore were bonded to steal. It's something quaint like Vette glue. ls1z28 probably knows the answer, if not BRUTAL64. So my guess is that resin isn't used, but another special epoxy to bond a fiberglass part to steal.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have the adhesive ($50 a tube!!!) to bond fiberglass and SMC to steel (used for door panel skins and headers) but if I went that route, I'd have to make the panels separate, then glue them on, the grind and fill. I was wondering if there was a way to lay them out right on the body.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I have the adhesive ($50 a tube!!!) to bond fiberglass and SMC to steel (used for door panel skins and headers) but if I went that route, I'd have to make the panels separate, then glue them on, the grind and fill. I was wondering if there was a way to lay them out right on the body.
That would have been my approach cuz I know it'll work very durably. As for your question I'm not sure, but I kind of have my doubts for some reason. The function of resin isn't bonding to steal. If you can't get a definitive answer here, call up the body guys at J&D, they might know.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Power's off.

Vette Bond from Eckler's works good, but I would ask Noonie. He knows all the ins and outs for cheap from boats. I have his e-mail if you need it.