View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default Explorer's At Truckhaven 10/23/10

I didn't make the cruise yesterday because I went out to Truckhaven near Salton Sea for a four wheeling trip with some of the guys from Explorerforum.com. I had a blast and I was one of only two trucks that tried a couple of the harder obstacles. The other was a Ford Ranger with a SAS using a full width Dana 44 and was running 37 tires.

Here are a few pictures.

This is the scariest hill I have ever climbed in the Explorer. It doesn't look bad in the pictures but the climb is almost staight up on the drivers side for about 6 feet. On the run last year they had two guys roll their trucks trying to get up this. One was an Explorer owned by a guy I've wheeled with a few times and the other was a Toyota 4Runner. Both had roll cages but I do not. I also broke a U-joint in the drivers front axle climbing it but luckily I was able to get all the way up and around the hill and then I replaced the axle when I got back to the bottom (I always carry and extra now after breaking two before).

This is the waterfall. A couple of the pictures show how steep it is. This was the first hill I climbed and it was easier to climb than CJ Hill and not as steep.

Here are a couple some of the trucks that went. In the first picture the Explorer on the right is R.J. he's one of the guys that rolled last year on CJ Hill. The white Ranger parked next to me in the second picture is the other truck besides me that did both CJ Hill and the waterfall.