View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Hot damn! Consider yourself volunteered. My current thinking is the 8.8 IRS setup, but I thought total cost pushed $2k, by the time you were done with the half shaft work etc.? I seriously considered the TII diff as it does seem to be strong, but we'll be talking a torque monster on sticky rubber and it seems 450WHP is more the real world break point. At least that's what I found. Putting the TII is tribial and cheap compared to the 8.8" . . . that's for damn sure.

BTW, This project was put on a kind of back burner as my wife left her gig about a year ago now and we decided now is a great time to start a small business. It's working out ok, and all the foot work is done on that, but still hemorrhaging play money. Nevertheless, I'm hell bent to keep pushing on this as I can and one the play money comes back on line, it'll be totally focused on this project.
Considering the scope of this project, I'd assume $200(cost of a TII diff, less if you can find one in a yard) isn't going to break it. I'm not suggesting throwing money around but if a $200 experiment could save you $1500 in fab work, it might be worth it. That's not so say if the TII rear doesn't work out you couldn't still splurge on a built 8.8.

Depending on your fab skills you might be able to throw together a budget dana 44/8.8 conversion on the cheap.

I feel you on the play money, or lack thereof. >.<