View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #145

I'm new here but this sort of project is right up my alley.

As for the diff selection, if your going to be using a blown 302 with 500hp or less there is no point in the time, energy, or cost of doing a solid axle swap. I don't know what model FC you have but ill assume its a GTU based on the 5 lug hubs, LSD, and 4.11. I wouldn't trust the n/a diff much farther than you can throw it. It'll probably hold up... for a bit. I would go with a TII rear, these little diffs have proven to hold up reliably with 600+hp launches(im talking about SBC power here). Hell they actually swap the TII rears into 93+ FD's. If one does happen to grenade they are on ebay all the time for ~$200. As for gearing your pretty much limited to 3.9, 4.11, or 4.33 as far as readily available ratio's go.

Another option you might want to look into is a guy in the 7 community was building subframes to fit an IRS dana 36/44 out of a C4 into the FD and FC. I'll look to see if i can find his page/thread(been a few years since i've heard anything) but this will enable you to keep the IRS and open up all kinds of gearing options. The other, more common way to go would be the cobra 8.8 irs swap. there's guys that make subframes already and you can pick up the complete 8.8 setup for about $1k.

If you do decide to go live axle the most reasonable method would be a '96+ explorer (all over junk yards in good condition for ~$250). the explorers have the higher spline count axles and are stronger than most of the 8.8 ranger and mustang rears. You'd want '96+ because of the disk brakes. There's no reason to go with a 9" as far as i can tell based on projected power. Plus if your stressing over any slight lateral location of the pinion on the 8.8. the 9" pinion is around 2" to the right.

I personally have something against live axle 7's tho, its a good handling car. If you just want a good power to weight with a live axle for the strip there's always the fox body.

Anyway, I'm about a year late for this party so the decision might have already been made. But still, i'd love to help out. Anything you need to know about the FC just let me know.