View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #18

Got it running on Sunday. Runs very good. Tune is set to 22* of timing and pig-rich for safety. No detectable oil blowby whatsoever after the first initial startup "puff" even when following the GM factory new car engine/driveline break-in procedure. Very little to no piston slap (WAY less than a stock LS1... for now...). It's throwing two knock sensor codes and a MAF code (P0101, so it's on SD tables), regardless of the MAFs I tried (32k stock, or 92k descreened which was verified working). It's either a grounding issue or a tune issue (probably grounds/wires). Will be trying a few things tonight with the grounds. Sounds very healthy and idle vibration is way smoother than stock. Valvetrain noise stands out less than stock as well. The 42lb injectors are louder than the valvetrain. I guess that's a good thing. Rocker arms were torqued properly and 7.325" pushrods were used. Pulls just as hard as a stock LS1/T56 car through first and second. T56 car doesn't have 3rd or 4th so I couldn't do any testing through those gears.

Oh, and I got 21MPG on the drive back, that's all with a safe base tune and going WOT a few times, and speeds ranging from 65-75 for most of the way. I know it's rich because it backfires every once in a while on deceleration when holding a gear.

Changed the oil after the first ring-seating adventure. Cut open the filter with a bandsaw. Lots of metal dust but very few to no slivers or chunks. Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Centrifugal is the way to go! ATI (Procharger) has some CARB legal kits, not sure about for the F-Body... but I'm sure they do.
P1SC is the CARB legal F-body kit, D1SC is the more popular one. I'm only planning on Vortech because I may get a deal on one from a friend.

Quote:
Don't forget to open up those ring gaps if you're planning to blow in it that hard! Also, moly rings tend to lose strength with pinging, while stainless rings don't. That's why I went with Total Seal stainless my second time around. Juuust a thought.
Mine are Total Seal brand, but they are not stainless steel. I figure by the time I can afford to go boost, the ring gaps will have opened up enough to handle the boost.

Quote:
And yeah, 15 psi on 4032 is pushing it. You'll need to intercool without question, and pull timing. 2018 is the way to go. But if you already bought the pistons, just be sure to run it intercooled.
Already posted that they're 2618 alloy, and an intercooled setup was always the plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.