View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's an L83 (1982 TB V8). It's a SBC, with a dynomite 8.5:1. Yes, it still has all the smog on it, but golley, we don't that silly stuff. I was thinking, instead of doing too much work on the engine internals, maybe some form of ghetto Forced Induction would work because of the compression.
I don't think that you will likely blow that L83. I'd be willing to bet that the diff/ trans would go on any car before that motor would.

The turbo V6 would be cool, especially if we went with a 240SX. But as Ben said, a bit pricey for the return. I'll be we'd see only 300whp after a couple grand even.

I'd go with Ben's L83. Pull the heads off, and bolt on some cheap used overly ported E-Bay heads. Lots of guys will port their heads too much, and the motor will run like crap, so they try to ditch them on E-Bay as having "special race porting." But for a drag/ track only car, who cares how well the motor behaves? It will always be up in the high rpm anyways. If we could score some tall gears and a manual gear box, then it would be even better for a peaky power band.

Then, score the biggest used solid flat tappet cam that we can (matched to the heads of course) with a 110-114 (preferably 114) lsa, try to keep the compression between 7.5 & 8.5:1. Then bolt on a big 6-71 or an 8-71 used, from an old GM diesel. Top it off with a used, possibly donated, or loaned, Holley... And that's all she wrote. I'll bet you could score the H&C&SC for a grand.

Or, used H&C& Big Nitrous Kit.

I'm voting for the 240sx or the RX7 with a blown sbc.