View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
In the field of IP, if you display a trademarked image, you as the licensee, or sublicensee (having bought a shirt, hat, etc.) will have paid for the right to use licensor's trademark. The fact we aren't selling a product is irrelevant to them. We would be publicly displaying their trademark without having licensed the use of the trademark.

Here's what most likely would happen. We could use it, potentially for a long period of time. Then eventually Ford Legal somehow finds out. Their most likely first course of action would simply be to send a cease and desist order, which means remove the trademark. Even I (and I'm super strict about this stuff) wouldn't expect to be sued for any monetary compensation since as you stated, it is not our intent to profit directly from the sale of merchandise using their trademark. It's just that ultimately, that it isn't what makes it legal or illegal.
Do you really think FORD is going to raise a stink about you using the Snake on the vehicle? We sell a number of licensed products (GM) here. I have never seen GM go after anyone for their use on a Vehicle.No matter how they used them.
2016 Nissan Altma