View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
You bring up an excellent point. He ran the 15 in second and the 25 in third. Both of those tests are ran at about 1700-1800 RPM because of that. I should ask him to run it in first and second respectively. Those little 2.5L loves to rev.

Maybe it's worth having him do it again like that before taking a look at the injectors? I know the guy is getting tired of seeing me though and I don't want to push my luck.

Is there a limit to how many times one can take the test?
EDIT: No limit to how many times you can take the test....
And auto trans must be run in "D"

Under the rules of the smog check...all manual trans cars are supposed to be run in 2nd gear. They ding us each time we run a car outside the desired rpm. If we have too many deviations they will lower our technician rating. In the past they knew we could fudge the numbers, but they had no way to enforce it. With the changes this year , I got let go from the smog shop I was working at. My " Follow up pass rate " was too low. That means if I pass a car, and it fails it's next test (2 years later ) I get dinged because the state believes I did not check it close enough. The state knows some cars will fail after 2 years, but smogging millions of cars, they know what those percentages should be. If my averages are outside the limit, I get a " Fail" rating as a tech, and do not qualify for the program.
I try not to answer smog questions on open forums anymore either. I commented on a smog thread on the Camaro site and got PM'd by a BAR rep.

Here is a recent rpm deviation I got dinged for...

Inspector Test Deviations Incident:

Inspector
GALANTE, PAUL (EA141356)

Incorrect Gear Selection
Station Number-230396- Inspector Number-141356-

Test Date-11/24/2012 1:37:24 PM - MY-1993 Make TOYOT-

Model CAMRY-
' RPM5015 RPM2525 Certificate
1 2227 2202 XN854922C