View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
In the case of a Jeep, what are the differences between a rock crawler setup and a Baja style high speed setup? Someday I'd like to put my Jeep on Roids, but I think I'd like to go more the Unlimited Truck direction for screaming down trails more than crawling over rocks, but maybe they're not so exclusive.
Your Wrangler's wheelbase is too short to make it a good prerunner. You need something that is in the area of 110 to 115 to handle well. As you confirmed with your high school run. I'm assuming that the girl was sitting in the back because of the short wheelbase they tend to kick the rearend up in the air.

As Carlos said with a rock crawler you want softer suspension. However, with the softer suspension you are going to have to have a front swaybar to keep the truck stable when on the road. There are a lot of companies that make swaybar disconnect kits for your jeep. How they work is usually have a pin that you remove when you get to the trail that disconnects the swaybar. When you finished the trail you just re-install the pin to reconnect it. This was Ron's (Silver Jeep) issue on the run last week. He had to go slow on the freeway because his truck wobles all over the road.

You can also have a prerunner without swaybars like I did on my Ranger that I had. Because of the stiffer suspension there isn't a need to have one. However, if you build one with a lot of travel and use coilovers that have a progressive rate you will most likely need a rear swaybar to keep the truck from extreme body roll.

If you just want to raise your Jeep so that you can fit larger tires there are many companies that make lift springs for it. If you want to do it for really cheap and use your factory springs you can always do a spring over axle conversion. It would cost about $50 and would get you about 5-6 inches of lift.