View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
A Motorgen O.G.

Well, BGN8711 and myself just got back from pre-running this thing. We had a blast. Did about 40-50 miles total. Won't know for sure until our friend gives us the final info on the GPS read. We did take a slightly different route and headed to Deep Creek.

We started out right off the 173 as 94cobra described and trucked it up 2N17X. I don't know the last time you guys were on this trail, but there is no way in hell that anything stock is making it through there. I don't know if that's what you meant, but I was under the impression that is the way we all planned on going.

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image006.html
This beginning portion is much gnarlier than the pictures show and you no longer have the option going to the left... it has been blocked off about halfway up. And that was the route we took since we could sneak through the barricade on the quads.

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image008.html
You no longer have three options. The middle on is the only one open. The outer two were blocked off by logs (that you couldn't move or go over in any vehicle). The top of the middle section was intense and we had to go around on the trail that's not shown in the picture. But, even at the top where the three trails converge and the easy way reconnects was rough for the quads and surely for any stock truck.

Basically, my conclusion:

Any decent truck/SUV that has a solid engine and won't crap out can make it along 2N33/Silverwood Trail/Pilot Rock Trail. I would advise against long-bed trucks and would still recommend 4X4 with bigger tires. It's more or less a glorified fire access road. It's a good time though no doubt. It could be boring for any serious off-roaders if it weren't for the many many side trails that shadow 2N33 and offer opportunities for play.

My suggestion:

Break into two parties for the first portion. One for serious, mega-gnarly-hairy-chested off-roaders to take 2N17X. And another for the people out to have a good time. They can take 2N33. Since 2N17X is basically a short-cut along 2N33, both parties should meet up right before Pilot Rock. I'll get a map of the trails going so this makes a whole lot more sense.

It was a fucking blast though. Whoooooooo