View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #17

Vettezuki,

Brian has been taking pictures of this project's progress with his camera phone so I'll be sure to remind him to get 'em on here. We took a few on Saturday with the engine on the lift, a pic of the "Gee, what's wrong with this motor mount?" (that's a pretty good one) and I imagine he shot a few yesterday.

Yes, Brian's car is intercooled; in fact, all '86-'87 Turbo Regals are. At the time these vehicles were being built 92 to 94 octane non-oxygenated gas wasn't uncommon, but now we (especially in CA) have to contend with 91 octane oxygenated (read: "crap") gas which is a limiting factor. Also, the intercooler isn't very efficient by today's standards (the inlet is small, & the core isn't very thick) and the stock turbo runs out of steam at 22 psi. So, alcohol injection is a nice compromise in lieu of $8 per gallon race gas to add performance.

Although Brian put in 36 lb injectors recently, we've advised him that a set of 43 lb. injectors from a Ford Lightning will eventually be in his future to ensure that he has a "fuel cushion" to work with once he breaks the 12-second barrier. He already has a 255 lph in-tank pump in the car fed by 10 AWG wire so he is set on the tank end, a new in-line filter and AFPR, so once 43#ers are in that's all he'll need. As for a turbo, an old-school TA-49 will do the job, and a used stretch intercooler will suffice once we find one. By way of comparison, back in 1998 I ran this very same combination on my '87 GN that had over 140,000 on its unopened stock motor and tuned it into the 11.30s at 118+ with no issues. It is also the same combination I am running on my sleeper TR now, except that I was fortunate to find an even better (& bigger!) stock location stretch intercooler than the one I had on the GN.

Sean: Tracer is going to test for his Orange belt in Tae Kwon Do this week!

Cheers,
Morgan

PS: Here are a few quick pics of the sleeper TR:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleeperfront%20copy.jpg (69.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg pbhburnoutsmlacv6%20copy.jpg (45.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg back%20view%201small.jpg (68.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dash%201smalla.jpg (89.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg backwindowsmall.jpg (85.8 KB, 4 views)