View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
id be real careful on carbon canyon. I drive it a couple times a week and there has been a rather disconcerting number of black and whites with radar guns even at odd hours (like, after midnight even)
I've noticed that, all around town. I was speeding in the Neon last week, and I saw that prick in the DARE SUV pointing the radar at me. I slowed down real quick, turned into the driveway that he was in and quickly got lost in the neighborhood behind him. The driveway was too tight for him to have made a u turn, he would have had to 3 point it. I don't know whether or not he followed me, I got lost fast, but I do know that I was hit with the radar while speeding and I don't have a ticket. He gave me a mean stare when I turned in front of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You're kind of assuming the conditions are known and static. Say you're going blasting through Carbon Canyon, there was an accident earlier in the day on a curve, a bit of oil is left on the road. . . at this point it's up to fortune, not your skill. I can come up with an infinite number of plausible scenarios that you couldn't react to fast enough.

Michael Schumacher had some pretty awesome car control I'd say, drove under completely controlled conditions, and he occasionally (rarely) made mistakes and got out of shape. The notion you can often push a high performance car near it's limits under highly controlled conditions, let alone public roads, and never get into trouble defies the laws of probability plain and simple. Put me in your Will, I always wanted a Jet Ski.
I could stop faster in my Vette going 80mph than my grandma could in her Oldsmobile going 50, easily. (Taking into account braking force, traction, and reaction time - that's the big one.) If you want to put a dead car in the middle of the road taking up both lanes around a blind corner at night with the lights off... then anyone is going to hit. You're talking about luck, I'm talking about control.

And yes, part of being in control of the car is knowing the track conditions and not pushing the road unless you can do so safely.