View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Why change it from leaf springs? We have a bunch of different setups on the trucks in our four wheel club from leafs to coils to coilovers and to me leafs just seem to work better in rocks while still providing plenty of travel and a decent ride. I'm using home made leaf packs on the front of the Explorer that I made up from the a set of stock Wrangler front and rear packs that a buddy gave me when I did the SAS. Even with those stock leafs I'm getting 10 inches of travel. If you want to improve the ride quality get a set of good shocks that can be tuned like Fox, King, FOA, etc. Going to the Fox shocks on the front of my Explorer and tuning them made a huge difference. My buddy who used to race the 1450 truck tuned them and they are perfect. Now I just need a set for the rear.
On my trip out to the desert the leafs are killing my back. It has an add a leaf on both the front and rear and it rides very very stiff. Right now im still spring under in both the front and rear. I do like the ride height as it sits right now.

I've never build a leaf pack or even how to start, I think the FJ40 springs are about 42 inches.

It might be a path to go down to just replace the leafs but i've always heard you great alot more flex and alot more comfort with a link setup.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20