View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfish View Post
Aw man....the Cobra Jet. That takes me back to 1977. I was a Freshman at Fullerton College. Still driving my first car, a 1967 Mustang that I bought for $350 bucks. It barely ran. I put many loving hours and hard earned dollars into that sucker and loved it......until I saw the ad board at the FC student center.

FOR SALE
1968 428 CJ Fastback Mustang $1800

GAWWWWWD did I want that car!! I thought about it, day and night for 2 weeks. Every day I went back to that board and stared at the ad, wondering how I could pay for that sucker. Grades definitely suffered during that period.
Unfortunately, I was (and still am for the most part) too practical and, it wasn't to be.
I settled for a 1970 Fastback Mustang with a smaller, more economical 302 V8 (which was still pretty cool), but will always wonder what might have been. sniff

Fast forward 30 some odd years to my impending mid life-crisis. (You guys DO realize that 50 is the new 35....DON'T YOU??). Maybe I could pull it off.

All I have to do is convince Mrs. Gunfish that it would be a great daily driver and cheaper than a mistress.

Whaddya think....do I have a shot?? Even a little one???
I'll tell you how I ended up with my 70 Mach 1 R code Cobrajet. I had a 65 convertible that was in the middle of a pretty extensive build. I had a 68 GT/CS that was getting an engine rebuild with forged internals, roller cam, and a blower. But in the meantime I had no Mustang I could drive. So I found a numbers matching, 65K original mile, yellow with black stripes and shaker hood, Cobrajet. I convinced my wife it was an investment that I could drive until I got my other cars on the road, then sell for a profit. She went for it. You gotta love that woman. On second thought, don't even try. She's mine, all mine.