View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpalmer View Post
Wow, that's outta control. I could see maybe $30k for a real well done up car that was super clean... but a lot of sellers are unrealistic about their asking prices. That guy would never sell it @ that price. People try to price stuff so they get their money back and then some with cars they built up or modded... good luck with that. I know it can be done if you have some luck and are careful about how you spend. And if you can find the right buyer.

Anyway, I've seen some really nice ones with all kinds of go fast goodies go for 20-30k in the last year or two. At least that's the impression I got from reading "for sale thread" crap on the 'net. For all I know it could have been more... or less.
Your analysis sis correct. The only way to come out flat or slightly ahead *maybe* on average is:

- know where you're going in the first place, wandering is expensive
- if you're doing a mod, buying a great working version of your base car will be a waste, buy a non-op with blown engine/trans, you'll pay less than you could sell those parts in most cases I think
- use a donor car in many cases of doing LS swaps (the bits you don't think about add up fast)
- do as much the labor yourself, with friends, etc., but use a pro for things out of reach, like quality paint, serious engine building (unless you're enkeivette)
- don't cheap out or half ass something, it will be used against you when comes time to sell
- be complete
- pick something interesting but potentially demanded. if it's too obscure you could be waiting for the right buyer for a long time. if it's too common, you'll be on the losing side of Supply vs. Demand. One potential hole here I see is older Mustangs (60s and early 70s) with the new Coyote 5.0 or *maybe* the Ecotec Turbo . . .

I probably have low 30s into my Vette. If I did it over, or (now!) I could probably do the same for around $20k, maybe less. Since it's a little unique, there isn't a market to judge, but I'd be surprised by anything over $20k. If anyone wants to offer $30k I'll sell it right now.

Generally speaking, you're cracked out if you think you're going to put together modded cars and make any money on the exchange. The guys who made money doing this, and there were a few, did so because they had a name and were selling a "brand premium". A no name could do the exact same thing and not get anywhere near the same price.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)