View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
16ft, 850lbs less motor. Trailer should be around 450, motor around 500, and the Jet is about 80. So that puts me in the 2K lb range, which is what a class 1 hitch it rated to.

I might just buy a class 1 hitch and weld some bracing on it for strength. But I have thought a lot about going diesel. Diesels are so good on fuel. Ideally I'd like to have a long travel Ranger with a 4cyl turbo diesel.
Long travel on a TTB ranger is pretty strait forward as long as you can fabricate. Bent forged beams, spring hoops and shock/springs for the front. 62/64" chevy leafs in the back with an inverted shackle. You'd definitely have to go with an explorer 8.8 if you went diesel and did any amount of towing, the 7.5 wouldn't last long.

Getting one with a diesel would be some work. You could try to get the 2.5 from the Mexican rangers and swap it in (or find a Mexican ranger). The most popular/easy to source diesel swap is a 3.9 cumins 4bt but requires a bit more fabrication. It's not really a powerhouse and they're pretty heavy but they make a good amount of torque, get decent mileage, and are bulletproof. Either way, you'd likely have trouble getting it to smog in California.