View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #80

Got split up from the group almost immediately (my fault)--I didn't even take notes on the directions. So, instead of desperately trying to find the group a few of us just went "playing" on the various roads in the area. It's a veritable playground up there, and we ended up running into a few other Motorgeners along the way anyway.

Downside: We didn't get to stick together

Upside: By not sticking together, I was free to drive at my own pace instead of being part of a mobile traffic jam "pack"

I suggest we do the Malibu area again, but next time just split the group into smaller subgroups (8-10 cars) according to skill/speed/comfort level/etc. each led by someone who's generally familiar with the area (I can lead a group). That way we can have mini-groups that'll be running at comfortable paces for the group, not overwhelm stop areas, and can be "managed" easier. The cool thing about doing it this way is that we'll constantly be seeing other Motorgen sub-groups drive past throughout the drive. Lots more social that way. It also generally keeps the stop areas (such as the overlook) from getting overwhelmed...there's not enough parking there for everyone anyway. This method doesn't require run maps, only simple caravan techniques (to ensure you don't leave people behind). That way we could have large numbers of Motorgeners showing up for the event without (or minimizing) the downsides of having large numbers of Motorgeners causing traffic (or getting split up, etc).

This technique wouldn't work all that well for an Angeles Crest run, but for a playground of roads that the Malibu area offers it's a perfect approach.